Exposure Time 1/30 vs 1/60 or better?

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know of which setup is the better choice regarding the Exposure Time? My camera setup deals with walking people so I want less blur and more clarity. I read about setting exposure time to 1/30 or 1/60, which is better? Or 1/90 maybe?

I looked around for threads but couldn't find anything to help with this.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
During the day the camera will likely be using exposures shorter than 1/200 regardless of what you choose there. The only time it should matter is in low light (e.g. dawn, dusk, night), so I recommend you try each of the options at night and see which one gives you the best tradeoff between motion blur and brightness. For the motion blur, the faster the better, but of course that will make the image very dark at night unless you have tons of lighting.

Reactions: jlx

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
During the day the camera will likely be using exposures shorter than 1/200 regardless of what you choose there. The only time it should matter is in low light (e.g. dawn, dusk, night), so I recommend you try each of the options at night and see which one gives you the best tradeoff between motion blur and brightness. For the motion blur, the faster the better, but of course that will make the image very dark at night unless you have tons of lighting.
The area is well lit. I'm trying to balance the fps and exposure time. I have 10fps at 1080p. Walking people look too blurry. I'll try play around. I set it at 1/60 and hope it'll help. 1/30 seemed blurry.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well 1/60 should give you exactly half the blur of 1/30. Like if a person's face blurs by 10 pixels at 1/30 then it should only blur by 5 pixels at 1/60 or 2.5 pixels at 1/120 exposure.

Cutting exposure time in half also cuts light intake in half though, and if the camera compensates by changing the gain then you get more noise (likely a lot more noise) and if it doesn't, then it just gets darker.

jlx

n3wb
Reaction score
Well 1/60 should give you exactly half the blur of 1/30. Like if a person's face blurs by 10 pixels at 1/30 then it should only blur by 5 pixels at 1/60 or 2.5 pixels at 1/120 exposure.
Thanks for information. Appreciate your help bp2008!~