extended setup questions, how to do this?

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in a residential area, where i have a few cameras connected to an NVR (hikvision.)
Recently, something was stolen from my neighbor, and now i have several neighbors that want a camera as well. I offered them to use my NVR for it (as it expands my view in the area as well, its a gain on both sides.)

Now, some live across the street, and im fiddling on how to set this up. using a point to point wifi? have them buy a own NVR?

I was thinking: if 2 or 3 neighbors buy cameras and set them in their local lan, and program a portforward in their router to these cameras... Would i be able to record them with my hik 7716 recorder? I mean: put the externat adress instead of internal, and the port thats being forwarded instead of the stock port 8000. Would that work?

Second, my dad who lives in another town, wants to buy 3 cameras as well, wich i want to install the same way.

In the recorder, i assume i can make several user login/passwords, and assign each their own cameras to it?

Last: a friend of mine wants a similar setup including a recorder of his own. Can i do something equal here, and for instance have his cams recorded on my recorder as well, but only with, lets say, 4 frames per second, just as a backup? If possible, i can do equally the same with him, having all my cams backed by his recorder?

On top of all: i would like to buy a dual-wan router, and add the internet connection of the neighbor next to me as a second wan. This, incase my internet connection might fail, i have his as a backup to record everything.

Any advice on this setup?
Everyone wants to be able to see their own cameras as well....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do understand you are opening a large can of worms for yourself?
You will become the defacto tech support for ALL of this.

Do NOT port forward anything. It's a huge security risk, see this: VPN Primer for Noobs

First thing to consider, will your internet connection handle all of that traffic without choking?

It can be done using something like the Ubiquity Nanostations and the like. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=nanostation+m2&sprefix=nanostat,aps,177&crid=2MXN3SPU2PHM9

Someone with more knowledge than I, hopefully someone will come along and weigh in on the details of using them.

My vote would be to encourage every one to get their own NVR or a PC with Blue Iris running on it....for your sanity's sake. ;)
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, i understand. And i will read the port forward thing.
Internet connection is not really a problem. I already had my eye un the nanostations. (that was the wifi link i mentioned.) Installing them is no problem.
My guess is that local in the street this seems the best option. Both others need to have a own recorder then.

edit:

VPN crossed my mind also. Its quite cheap to get a ubiquiti edge router lite nd create vpn tunnels between all locations forthe cams. In the end; i think its cheaperto get the nanostations. My dad and my friend need to get their own recorder, and maybe i will drop a vpn router there as well in order to manage the recorders.

Last edited: