Extension cables faulty?

Reaction score
I installed an 8 camera Annke system. 4 of the 8 needed about 15 feet of extension so I installed 25 foot extension cables. The ones with BNC and power. Initially, all 8 cameras were visible. I then unplugged my cameras from the DVR to change their locations on the display. Once all reconnected, and the DVR powered back on, the cameras with extension cables are not showing video. I have power at the cameras, and 78-80 ohms resistance in the BNC cables at the camera ends. Could the cables not be compatible with the cameras? Why would it work for 2 minutes then stop? Annke support is absolutely useless I cannot understand a word they say. I ordered Annke extension cables hoping the system "likes" them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With an NVR the cameras become identified to the port. When you disconnected and reconnected them did you make absolutely sure they all got plugged back in to the exact same ports? I know that's the case with IP cameras and may also apply to CVI, I'm not really sure about that, but it is something to consider.

Reaction score
They all were in port 1, then moved elsewhere. The Annke cable cameras are still working after being moved to other ports. I’ve moved the extension cables to various ports with no video showing. Only the extension cable cameras are out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In that case I'm guessing the extension cables have lost connection for some reason, possibly simply from the strain of being disconnected and reconnected.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed an 8 camera Annke system. 4 of the 8 needed about 15 feet of extension so I installed 25 foot extension cables. The ones with BNC and power. Initially, all 8 cameras were visible. I then unplugged my cameras from the DVR to change their locations on the display. Once all reconnected, and the DVR powered back on, the cameras with extension cables are not showing video. I have power at the cameras, and 78-80 ohms resistance in the BNC cables at the camera ends. Could the cables not be compatible with the cameras? Why would it work for 2 minutes then stop? Annke support is absolutely useless I cannot understand a word they say. I ordered Annke extension cables hoping the system "likes" them.
I didn’t see where you measured continuity, resistance, and voltage on the 12 VDC cable. All three measurements will provide more insight about the cable and the power supplies operating state.

The next question is how are you powering the cameras?!? A multi port 12 VDC power supply or individual bricks?

Start with a single camera without any extension does the camera work?

Yes - Great!

Add the extension does it continue to operate - Yes? Great!

No? Perform the measurements as listed up above and obviously check both ends of the plugs for damage / debris. You’re going to see either no voltage (open) low voltage (high resistance) which can be from bad connectors, wires too thin, cable too long, PSU is maxed out, PSU is not capable of providing steady current.

The vast majority of security cameras allow 10-25% voltage swing. So based on a 12 VDC @ 25% that can range from 9 VDC to 15 VDC or anything in between.

It should be called out the majority of multi channel PSU share the total power (current) between each channel. This assumes every camera is consuming the same power. If not you’ll quickly find out cameras will drop off, cycle, to smoking a PSU.

If you have a single brick PSU and have committed the greatest sin which is seen here and around the world. Which is taking single underpowered PSU brick and using those 2-8 way 12 VDC splitters!

Stop . . .

Please offer some model numbers, photos etc of the hardware in question so we don’t have to guess what you’re using.

As the information provided here is based on pure guess and basic trouble shooting.