Exterior POE | Surge Protection & Cabling Question

Reaction score
I've run a number of site searches through Google but most of the results I found weren't exactly what I was thinking. So, I'm hoping you guys might be able to point me in the correct direction.

I have three (3) exterior mounted POE cameras that I'm looking to install soon (already have the cameras). Two of the cameras will be mounted on a brick wall (turret) looking at the driveway and the third will be soffit-mounted (bullet). I have learned enough to know that somehow I need to surge-protect these cameras. What I'm not entirely grasping is exactly how to do that. Further, for the soffit-mounted camera, my understanding is that I need to utilize UTP cable where the cable is exposed (about 6" worth) to prevent degradation.

All of these cameras will be wired up into the attic. So, I really have two questions:

1. If I use UTP cable at the exterior camera, can I then switch it over to standard Cat6 somewhere? I had wondered if using a pass-through patch panel would be a good way to go from UTP to regular Cat6?
  2. Regarding surge, I was thinking of utilizing a couple of the Ubiquity surge protectors but I'm not certain how to ground them either in my attic, nor at the rack. What would you suggest?