extract IR led on hikvision turret

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read the Hikvision turrets are the best one for trying to avoid spiders and bugs on the IR light.
But if that's not sufficient, has anyone tried to open the camera and extract the EXIR IR led using a longer cable and put it in an enclosure external and more distant from the camera? (Especially if you buyed the camera without warranty from China or similar...)
Is that possible/recommended instead of buying an external IR?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it's better to buy an external IR and turn off the one in the camera rather than taking it to bits!

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe it would be because generally I like DIY, but I thought that an EXIR led could value an 50$ equivalent external IR. Leaving it off into the camera... it's a waste.
Anyway I understand it's not a work for all people.
It could be useful also having some photos of the inside of the cam before opening it, or at least knowing if it's easy to disassembly from someone who did it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's good for a single IR, yes, vs ring of small leds but not as bright as external ones like the one above for $11.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It's good for a single IR, yes, vs ring of small leds but not as bright as external ones like the one above for $11.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought this one about 3 months ago, so far it works great. It is VERY powerful, I am so shocked. It is sending a ton of flood light IR over 55feet away. It went from not being able to see my cars parked, to being able to see as if it were day light! I guess I'll see how well it holds up over the next year, but as of now it's well worth the money.
It has a 2.5mm barrel plug on it, the picture in the auction is an older one the seller told me when I asked before I bought mine. I'm using a 12v 4A power supply to power it and a MIC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291504952715?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frank10

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, you convinced me: I'll go with external.