EyeSurv dome camera mounting thoughts.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi friends. I'm eyeing up a few of these cameras. I ordered one to start with to get a feel for how it'll work and I'm pretty happy with it, so I think I'm going to go ahead with 1-2 more. There's one thing I'm questioning a little bit, and that's the way these cameras mount. I only have experience with indoor cameras that have their own little included brackets/mounting mechanisms, which once opened are rather self explanatory, as well as outdoor Vivotek bullet cameras (also make sense once you take a look at how they work), though dome cameras are something new to me.

Memory might be working against me as I do not have the camera in front of me at the moment (but was curious enough to post a while), but if I recall, I can take the dome off the top of the camera and from there, there are holes for screws. For a few of my mount points, such as the large 8x8 wooden beams holding the roof up over my car port, this is a no brainer. However, I question how I would be able to attach this camera to a drop ceiling inside the house, or straight to a vertical drywall wall inside the garage. Surely the screws would not bite a ceiling tile well enough to withstand the weight of the camera over time (nor would I trust it, even if they would be able to bite enough). Drywall wise, I might be okay with those plastic screw inserts.

With ceiling mounted speakers, I've seen plastic L shaped tabs to put on the upper part of the ceiling tile which the screws lock into. These seem to help grab more surface area of the tile to better distribute the item's weight. Would this be the route to go with with a dome camera like this? Or is there another, more logical option that I'm not seeing?

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Howdy, honestly, you can mount these direct to the ceiling or drop ceiling tile with the screws as long as you dont over tighten it. it may not last through a strong earthquake but as long as that doesnt happen it should hold.

And you are correct, you take the dome off and there are screw holes there.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Howdy, honestly, you can mount these direct to the ceiling or drop ceiling tile with the screws as long as you dont over tighten it. it may not last through a strong earthquake but as long as that doesnt happen it should hold.

And you are correct, you take the dome off and there are screw holes there.
Hi there, Sean. Thanks for your insight. The local hardware store has a mammoth amount of screws, washers, and things like that to choose from. Makes me wonder if a good blend of a secure hold + cheap cost, I might be able to get some really fat washers for the upper side of the drop ceiling to be on the receiving end of the screw, and machine screws to match a similar head diameter/shaft diameter as the factory screws that came with the camera itself.

It was just a thought, but perhaps one worth looking into. Having seen how easily ceiling tiles can break, I hesitate to rely on them entirely.

The other option may be to get a thin piece of wood (plywood, etc) the width of the tile, cut a hole for the camera, and let the screws bite into the wood. The benefit there is if the tile were to give way (hey, perhaps a water leak in the future that makes it a soggy, weak mess and collapses?) at least the camera would survive given the wood would be setting on the metal rails. And ironically, using one of those cameras that are outdoor rated but using it inside, it should survive fine.

Anyway, some rambling thoughts speaking out loud.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
sure, your methods are definetely probably the more "proper" way to do it. Mine were the poor mans lazy way, but hey its worked for me, lol