ezviz DB1- OK to use power supply from regular plug socket?

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up an ezviz DB1 (live in the UK). I have managed to get about half way through the mega thread on these doorbells (inc page 101).

I live in a new build house in the UK so there is no existing doorbell wiring (builders here don't include them any more). My plan was to simply run the DB1 from a generic doorbell power supply plugged into a socket near my front door (i see plenty of these advertised for other brands on Amazon but not for the DB1 specifically). I have no plans to add a chime.

I found this 18v - 500mA power supply on Amazon UK HERE and ordered it. After a quick test this evening it seems to work fine but only setup it up for 10 minutes. The doorbell did get very hot but reading the 101 post it suggests this is normal.

So my question is:
  • Is it safe to run the Ezviz DB1 from a power socket / power supply in this way (rather than with transformers from a mains supply)? I don't want to install anything that is not safe.
    • Is anyone else doing this without issues and are there any recommended plug in power supplies to be aware of?
Massive thanks to the community for all the wealth of information (I am now back to read the last 100 pages of the mega thread lol).

Dan

Last edited:

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't run AC, so I'm afraid I can't speak to your specific situation.

However, they can safely run DC all day long. I use poe wiring to run them off 12v or 24v DC. The two units I have are in this configuration running reliably for about a year now

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I might explore the POE option if I can’t find an answer to my question.

can I ask what your cable setup is on this please?

I have a spare Poe switch / injector and SF one Ethernet cable. How do you adapter the connector / cable to wire up to the DB?
Also did you use their enclosed resistor in your setup (I haven’t with my AC plug supply)?

Thanks again for the help!
Dan

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my case, I have a 24v dc POE switch. I simply wired the ground and +24vdc leads from the cat6 direct to the doorbell. Polarity doesn't matter on the doorbell.

I'm not using any of the power kit pieces.

carphone

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again Silencery.

I stumbled across THIS Nelly's video that addresses my exact question (US rather than UK though). Although they do use a very different type of mains supply (plug-in) to my amazon purchase.

By way of an update - I have gone for it and installed the doorbell using the amazon adapter. I did not bother installing the recommended resistor though...

All is working great - my only concern is how hot the DB unit runs. I am curious if different power adapters (AC or DC or different Voltages etc) would cure this heat issue. I am sure I read on the mega thread someone swapped to from AC to DC supply this resolved the heat issues... Who knows.

I have now added this DB to my Hikvision NVR and have it recording 24/7 (all on the standard Ezviz firmware).

I will report back in the event it all goes pear shaped but I am optimistic my setup will be fine.

Dan

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed. The heat on the DB1s is a major concern. However, I didn't notice any difference running it on AC or DC. They were both equally hot!

One of the doorbells is mounted in a location where it's directly exposed to our brutal so cal summer sun and it's survived two summers already. It's been running like a champ (somehow! i really don't know how?)