Face recognition inside car at night

orinoco

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 5231-z12 covering the road in front of my house, last night a neighbour was burgled, the thief arrived in a car my camera picked the reg up no problem it is not set for LPR it is just that the area is fairly well lit and the camera caught it nice and clear running in colour mode, however the driver cannot be made out at all, in that it could have been an alien driving the car and I wouldn't be able to tell.

The road is a T, I am at the top of the T directly facing the road so the car headlights point directly into the camera, would there be settings that would allow me to grab drivers faces at night in future or am I looking for a solution to something that can't be achieved with what I have?

Many thanks

Tony

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In general, i would say no, and it depends. I would like to hear what others think here.

I have a camera inside in my front room that i have messed with the settings a few times to find that when the settings are set a certain way, i can clearly see through the thin window shade, through the glass and make out my wife's car immediately outside and a fairly good view of here sitting inside when she arrives. However, in this setting, i can not really see the items in the room that the camera is in. With the setting i normally use, i can not see out the window at all. It is simply a white square.

I find a similar occurrence with laptop displays in the FOV. Normally i can not read the display, with it pure white, but if i tweak the settings (backlight mode i think), i can get to clearly reading the screen.

I think you have to pick what you optimize on each camera at any given point in time, but can change that based on a schedule.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lights shining directly into the camera will impact recordings. If you changed shutter speed to allow more light in when there was no headlights, the addition of extra light into the sensor will “wash out” the image when headlights do shine at the camera. If you set the shutter speed to offset the headlights, the interior will be too dark for details. Sadly, it’s not like the Telly and magic of Hollywood...