Failed Aliexpress Transaction?

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried twice to purchase a $250 Dahua NVR from an Aliexpress store and the cc transaction didn't go through. No explanation, just transaction failed to go. Messaged the store to see if they will take Paypal. Maybe that will go. Never had a problem with my CC, same Visa account for many years. Any thoughts?

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the same thing. So I rang my bank, Aliexpress did not even attempt to charge my Visa. So Aliexpress were asking me to "appeal", then they ask for scans of:

1) scan of id such as a drivers license or passport
*and*
2) scan of my bank statement
*and*
3) scan of my credit card

Of course my bank advised that there is no way in hell I should provide these! As that would be leaving me exposed to identity theft.

So I looked into this. Paypal's fine print (at least in Australia) may not provide protection:

PayPal's Buyer Protection – what protections does it offer? - Online shopping

says:

"Goods not received

PayPal says it's also "on your side" for purchases that just don't
arrive. However, it's usually pretty impossible to actually prove an
item didn't show up. While the Visa and MasterCard chargeback schemes
require the seller to prove you received the item, with a signature on
delivery (unless you waive that right), PayPal's fine print says that
it may not find in your favour, if the seller can present a proof of
shipment, even if you didn't receive the item."

So although I don't really trust Paypal:
* I wasn't waiving my right to receive the shipment
* My paypal account has a $0.00 balance, so the payment is going on my Visa card via Paypal, so I believe if the shipment did not arrive I would have the option of a chargeback on the Visa if the seller did not resend the goods and Paypal did not help.
* The Aliexpress seller (Secure Life) has a good reputation.
I made the payment by Paypal, and I received the goods. There was a little problem: the first shipment attempt did not go through, the seller made a second attempt at shipping which did go through (the seller is very helpful).

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, achernar, for sharing your experience. Since I agree that "proving" the validity of my credit card info is not acceptable, I will try using Paypal. Since the seller doesn't have a link on their website to click on for Paypal, do you mind sharing the procedure you followed to use PP?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had the same issue with 2 credit cards, like a lot of other people said, i had to use paypal, which is something I hate to do. I'm doing this because more than a few people have vouched for Andy, and I have yet to hear a complaint, so it is worth the risk imo.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My first Aliexpress order, for my father, was an $83 HVR and a $28 Camera from the same vendor. I used a Prepaid Visa with no problem. I then ordered another Camera from a different vendor with the same prepaid Visa, no problem, except it seems to be stuck in customs.

My wife ordered me one of the 10x bullet PTZ cameras,for Christmas and it got cancelled. This was with her personal Visa. After she told me what happen, I told her to just forget the order. After all, who needs one of those.....?

achernar

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, achernar, for sharing your experience. Since I agree that "proving" the validity of my credit card info is not acceptable, I will try using Paypal. Since the seller doesn't have a link on their website to click on for Paypal, do you mind sharing the procedure you followed to use PP?
No worries. The seller and I continued to communicate using messages in the closed Aliexpress order. The seller asked if I was willing to pay by Paypal. I agreed. The seller asked for my email address that is associated with my Paypal account, which I provided. The seller sent me an email from Paypal asking for the payment. I payed it. I asked for the tracking number. This was in the lead up to Christmas. After the first tracking number (coming from Hong Kong) showed that it had not been picked up for about 5 days, I enquired with the seller. The seller enquired with the forwarder, there was a problem with customs, the seller sent me a second tracking number coming from Singapore (which had been created before I had asked about it). It was about 6 days after the second tracking number was created that the cameras were picked up, I received them on the Friday before Christmas Eve.

My Visa is registered with Verified by Visa. When I placed my first order on Aliexpress (for an NVR from the same seller), my bank sent me an SMS with a code to my phone during the payment. That didn't happen with the camera order. The employee at my bank that I was talking to said one possibility was that maybe Aliexpress tried to communicate with the bank's payment server, and there was a communications problem, and Aliexpress just failed the transaction (after waiting a day) and did not bother to resend it. My bank said that they saw no attempt from Aliexpress to charge my Visa for the second order.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great suggestions! So to summarize, communicate with seller and try the following:
  • Verified by Visa registration for CC
  • Prepaid debit card
  • Ask seller to send email from their Paypal account requesting Paypal payment
  • Did I miss anything?

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used the advice from #achernar and did get the seller to email me her Paypal email address.I just sent the funds and requested a tracking number.
Waiting now for further email from seller.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I too just requested Paypal invoice from seller, got email from Paypal requesting payment, clicked on Pay Now, sent funds, and now awaiting tracking information. I really appreciate the help from #achernar and all who responded. Thanks!

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I too just requested Paypal invoice from seller, got email from Paypal requesting payment, clicked on Pay Now, sent funds, and now awaiting tracking information. I really appreciate the help from #achernar and all who responded. Thanks!
Frogg,I hope your transaction is going smother than mine.There seems to be some kind of holdup on my transaction.The seller hasn't received/found my funds even though it has cleared my bank.
I have been messaging seller every evening.No luck as of last night.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My funds cleared my bank yesterday, and I messaged to seller. Seller has replied "will ship fast". I asked for tracking number. We will see. In the meantime, I have ordered a Paypal MasterCard prepaid debit card, which I can load at my local HEB grocery for no fee, and I will use that next time, hoping it will move funds immediately, and speed things up. Using regular Paypal account does create some delays delivering funds, added to the time difference to China. Keep me informed, glennd, and I will do the same for you.

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, just got DHL tracking number this morning. We'll see...
Glad to hear it.My AliExpress seller informed me
last night that that they located my funds but the the NVR I wanted isn't in stock and they expect a new shipment soon.
I'm okay with that,it was a relief that they located my money.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got SMS from DHL yesterday that my NVR cleared customs in Cincinnati and is scheduled for delivery here in Texas Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, glennd, I said I would report back about my Aliexpress purchase, and I received it yesterday, as scheduled by DHL. It was delivered about 4:30 pm. And instead of the 16 channel model, they sent the 32 channel model-NVR5232-4KS! Not complaining, and it works great, although I had to tweak the settings of my two Dahua cameras a little to get them up to speed. Oddly enough, my 3 Amcrest cameras worked perfectly right off the bat-go figure. One of my Dahua cams kept losing the correct time, and thus wouldn't record to HDD. I had to set time to DST and NPT on my HDBW4431R-S, instead of just PC SYNC like all the other cameras. The other Dahua, a similar camera, HDBW4431R-ZS, continues work just fine in PC SYNC mode. OH well, they do work. Put my Amcrest NV4108 in mothballs for the time being. Hope your seller gets stock soon, and you get your order.

Last edited:

glennd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Frogg,
Thanks for the update.Nice deal with the NVR.
I ordered the NVR5216-16P-4KS2,it sounds like that's what you ordered too,but was sent the 32 channel model.I haven't heard anything since last Thursday.
I may send them another text tomorrow.On the other hand,I ordered a Dahua Starlight from Andy/AliExpress on Dec 31 and received a DHL Tracking number yesterday.

Frogg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, almost the same, but my NVR doesn't have PoE ports. I use a PoE switch in the attic, and so only had one ethernet run to the attic. Hope you get yours soon. DHL seems like the way to go.