Failed SD Card Behavior? IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've had odd behavior with my Dahua 5231 Z12E the last few days. It would frequently go offline in BI. I could ping it but not access it's web GUI. Went out and did a factory reset using the reset button and could then ping the default 192.168.1.108 address but still no GUI. I popped out the SD card and did another reset with the button. Then I could access the GUI. Popped the SD card into a computer and could read the files on it, although it only had recordings dated from August (cam set to record on motion to SD).

Anyone ever have a similar experience? Camera has been rock solid for nearly a year now. Once I got into the GUI I did another factory default just to be sure the gremlins were out. Reconfigured and appears to be back in business.

While I have your attention.. anyone know the latest/best firmware for these cameras? I have three of them and not sure if a firmware to fix the focus at max zoom issue was ever released. I've never updated, just stuck with what Andy shipped with. Currently on the following:
System Version V2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-02
WEB Version V3.2.1.825578
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.822559)
I have two others dedicated to LPR running
System Version V2.800.0000002.0.R, Build Date: 2019-01-11
WEB Version V3.2.1.684680
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.651299)

AND

System Version V2.800.0000005.0.R, Build Date: 2019-03-25
WEB Version V3.2.1.709882
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.651299)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people post here they are lucky if they get a year out of the SD card - so more than likely that is the problem and the little cpu in the camera didn't know what to do when it decided to stop.

Other than your issue, if the cameras are installed and operating and working as you need them to, a general rule of thumb here is "don't fix what ain't broke".

Many times a firmware update will add something that you were not using or didn't need and it unfortunately then breaks something you were using. I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc. And of course a certain PTZ that lost autotracking if someone updated the firmware...I saw too many issues a few had updating the Z12 so I haven't touched mine.

I would suggest replacing the SD Card as it is probably failing and even though it may be working now, it may be short term - maybe a month, maybe a year...nobody knows, but I think it was the card.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Many people post here they are lucky if they get a year out of the SD card - so more than likely that is the problem and the little cpu in the camera didn't know what to do when it decided to stop.

Other than your issue, if the cameras are installed and operating and working as you need them to, a general rule of thumb here is "don't fix what ain't broke".

Many times a firmware update will add something that you were not using or didn't need and it unfortunately then breaks something you were using. I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc. And of course a certain PTZ that lost autotracking if someone updated the firmware...I saw too many issues a few had updating the Z12 so I haven't touched mine.

I would suggest replacing the SD Card as it is probably failing and even though it may be working now, it may be short term - maybe a month, maybe a year...nobody knows, but I think it was the card.
Thanks! I figured it was the card and wasn’t planning on putting the old one back in! I haven’t had any issues with any of the cameras or firmware so I agree to leave as-is. Realized I’m on three different versions so figured I’d ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk