Fake Dahua System Options

the_figaro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a house with what seems to be an illegitimate Dahua NVR+cameras.
The NVR looks identical to the: 4108-8P-4KS2 but cameras don't look like anything on their website. Also no Dahua branding.
The system itself is locked beyond realtime veiwing by the previous owner so its largely useless at this point.

I've read a few posts on here about this issue and how you can't flash new firmware nor simply replace the NVR with a new real one.
Are there any options for keeping the cameras using home assistant or something?
It seems a shame to throw away the whole system, but the security risks seem high too.

Cheers,

Isaac

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are genuine OEM non-label Dahua and fake ones, so no telling which you have, but someone might be able to tell region based on serial number.

Simply factory reset everything and start over.

the_figaro

n3wb
Reaction score
There are genuine OEM non-label Dahua and fake ones, so no telling which you have, but someone might be able to tell region based on serial number.

Simply factory reset everything and start over.
Sorry i should have mentioned i have contacted Dahua and it seems to be not from my reigon. The HDD is dahua branded so maybe thats a good sign?
I want to factory reset but there is no physical button on the mainboard (picture attached) and the software is a deadend.

Attachments

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can see the spot on the motherboard where the reset button should be.
You might be able to short the solder pads on the board, but you would need to know which pads.

Can you contact the previous owners for password?

the_figaro

n3wb
Reaction score
You can see the spot on the motherboard where the reset button should be.
You might be able to short the solder pads on the board, but you would need to know which pads.

Can you contact the previous owners for password?
A good idea, but yea, I would have to find the schematics of the switch.
To be clear you think it's the circle with cross inside?

I am trying to contact owners but it was completely blind through an agent so not hopeful, they have returned to china apparently.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A good idea, but yea, I would have to find the schematics of the switch.
To be clear you think it's the circle with cross inside?
Yeah that's almost certainly where the button would be.
The button is most likely just a simple momentary on type of switch.
So a straight short across from one side to the other on one pair of pins is probably all you need.
The second pair is probably not electrically active and is used for added strength to hold the button to the board.

Reaction score
Apparently, the writing on the camera says 'Lecheng'.
Any info anyone has would be great!
Sorry, never saw those before. An image search did not turn up anything that looks like it. Maybe if you take one down you can get a brand and model number or MAC address. The MAC address can give you the manufacturer.

BTW, the MAC address on the NVR comes back as

38:AF:29 Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.

so I doubt it is fake.

the_figaro

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah that's almost certainly where the button would be.
The button is most likely just a simple momentary on type of switch.
So a straight short across from one side to the other on one pair of pins is probably all you need.
The second pair is probably not electrically active and is used for added strength to hold the button to the board.
No luck here im afraid, Tried shorting while on and while turning on.
Is there a protocol i.e. how long to short for?

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No luck here im afraid, Tried shorting while on and while turning on.
Is there a protocol i.e. how long to short for?
I believe the button is normally pressed and held down with the device powered off and then held down while powering on, i don't know how long you would hold the button down for, but i imagine 10-15 seconds would do it.

Looking at the image you posted, i would number the pads as 1 through to 4 starting from the top left and going clockwise.
I would try shorting 1 and 4 or 2 and 3.
Failing that i would try shorting the two pairs together.
eg. 1 & 2 shorted together, 3 & 4 shorted together and then shorting those two pairs to each other.