False motion detection due to rain at night

deli

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple of IP-HDW5231R-ZE cameras currently not connected to a NVR, just using Smart Pss/iDMSS Plus that gives false motion detection when it rains at night. If I lower the sensitivity so I don't get alarms due to the rain I don't get any correct motion detection. The only way to not get flooded by alarm emails during rainy nights I had to disarm the motion detection during night.

Have any of you experienced this? Any suggestion on a configuration that would mitigate this issue?

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No experience whatsoever but I would guess that using external IR (or visible light) coming from the side instead of using the cam's internal IR might help with this,

deli

n3wb
Reaction score
There are no other light sources nearby, 150 meters away is the closest. Do you think it could be due to reflection in the wall?

20191117171336392ch01.jpg

deli

n3wb
Reaction score
No experience whatsoever but I would guess that using external IR (or visible light) coming from the side instead of using the cam's internal IR might help with this,
Oh, sorry did'nt read your reply properly. The only power I have near the camera is the poe network cables so not easy to add external IR. :(

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have an additional POE cable routed to that location? You could slap up a retired IR-equipped network camera up just as an IR source, or a POE IR. I see some on Amazon. Might need a makeshift diffuser to spread out the beam, like a piece of frosted plastic such as a milk jug.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using plain old Motion Detection? Turn it off and use IVS - tripwire/Intrusion. IVS is MUCH better than regular MD.

deli

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using plain old Motion Detection? Turn it off and use IVS - tripwire/Intrusion. IVS is MUCH better than regular MD.
I can't find that function in Smart PSS on my Mac. I have a "Intelligent Analyse" but nothing happends when i click on it, might be due to the beta-versions of Smart PSS.

Skärmavbild 2019-11-17 kl. 23.03.52.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You will have to set it on the camera. SmartPSS doesn’t play well with IVS

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You should make most of your setting changes on the camera itself or NVR. Use SmartPSS to manage , view, playback

deli

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. :( I'll try that next time I'm on location. Have not setup a VPN server yet, thats why I'm using SmartPSS for configuration.