Favorite Z-Wave brands

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Again very easy

ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40 (motion / light / temperature / humidity) Amazon.com : ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40 (motion / light / temperature / humidity) : Camera & Photo

Fibaro Z-Wave Motion Sensor - FGMS-001 Amazon.com: Fibaro Z-Wave Motion Sensor - FGMS-001: Home Improvement
I got the fibaro it's nice !!!!

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 Multi-Sensor (Z-Wave Plus) Amazon.com : Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 Multi-Sensor (Z-Wave Plus) : Camera & Photo

Got this one too ..
How accurate is the temp? Do you think these could survive under an eve? Do you use the lux sensor to switch cams to night vision?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Zwave is a mesh network, the more zwave devices you add the stronger the network is. doesn't matter if it's battery powered devices or plugged into 120v...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Zwave is a mesh network, the more zwave devices you add the stronger the network is. doesn't matter if it's battery powered devices or plugged into 120v...
Via wikipedia
Z-Wave units can operate in power-save mode, thus reducing power consumption. For Z-Wave units to be able to route unsolicited messages, they cannot be in sleep mode. Therefore, battery-operated devices are not designed as repeater units. Mobile devices, such as remote controls, are also excluded since Z-Wave assumes that all devices in the network remain in their original detected position.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How accurate is the temp? Do you think these could survive under an eve? Do you use the lux sensor to switch cams to night vision?
In my testing it's off by 2-5 degrees just depends on your programming and hub but nothing will ever be 100%

I don't use lux to switch but it's a goood idea..

I use the cheap ecolinks outside for motion

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
In my testing it's off by 2-5 degrees just depends on your programming and hub but nothing will ever be 100%

I don't use lux to switch but it's a goood idea..

I use the cheap ecolinks outside for motion
How do they do as far as false alarms?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Again very easy

ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40 (motion / light / temperature / humidity) Amazon.com : ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40 (motion / light / temperature / humidity) : Camera & Photo

Fibaro Z-Wave Motion Sensor - FGMS-001 Amazon.com: Fibaro Z-Wave Motion Sensor - FGMS-001: Home Improvement
I got the fibaro it's nice !!!!

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 Multi-Sensor (Z-Wave Plus) Amazon.com : Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Gen5 Multi-Sensor (Z-Wave Plus) : Camera & Photo

Got this one too ..

The Fibaro look nice, in the video it show one mounted outdoor under the soffit too. I wondered if the blinking led when detected can be disabled.

I am thinking to use this one for our entranceway alert and outdoor temp reading

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The Fibaro look nice, in the video it show one mounted outdoor under the soffit too. I wondered if the blinking led when detected can be disabled.

I am thinking to use this one for our entranceway alert and outdoor temp reading
Nail polish works wonders

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The ecolink sensors ??? There not bad set them to pet2 .. depends on how you set it up you will need to play with it to get it right..
I've got one of the fancy tri tech sensors, I'm really hoping for something that like never gets a false alarm but outside that may be asking too much.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I think you can disable the led but not 100% sure. But that's my favorite feature about the sensor,when ever someone new comes to my house they stare at it like a space shuttle then asked me what is that.. also the led light give you information about the sensor

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you can disable the led but not 100% sure. But that's my favorite feature about the sensor,when ever someone new comes to my house they stare at it like a space shuttle then asked me what is that.. also the led light give you information about the sensor
If it's never too a camera and they look up at it, booom, face shot

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hoping by using indoor pir, i can add s script that if no movement is detected in room for at least half an hour then it'll turn off all the lights in room
Not to hijack this thread, but these WattStopper motion sensor wall switches are used in many office buildings with hundreds of rooms. I use these for my bathroom lights and fan. In my garage I use a ceiling version of this which has great coverage for the entire 3 car garage. They are very reliable and adjustable. Of course, a downside is you can't control it with your home automation and smartphone. But for basic light control when the room is occupied it's a simple solution.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Battery powered devices don't relay messages like plug in devices IIRC
I am not too worried about that since I will probably have several zwave bulbs throughout in the house that have different color leds in it to alert me which sensor detected something Those bulbs are supposed to be zwave repeaters too

And some of the light switches are zwave repeaters. I believe I will have enough repeaters to go around in the houses

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not too worried about that since I will probably have several zwave bulbs throughout in the house that have different color leds in it to alert me which sensor detected something Those bulbs are supposed to be zwave repeaters too

And some of the light switches are zwave repeaters. I believe I will have enough repeaters to go around in the houses
That gives me an idea, I could have a zwave light in the house that goes red when the alarm is armed. Let me know if these lights let you control when they change colors, I'd be using Lua scripts to flip the colors. :D

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You might want to consider this:
Fibaro RGBW Micro Controller Z-wave, Works with RGB/RGBW LED Strips - - Amazon.com
with some LED strip lighting

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Your front porch is pretty sheltered an indoor sensor will probably work ok
TechBill's surveillance build

For your needs though, I'd still choose hardwired like this one in a nice dark grey/brown to match your house:
New GE Security RCR-REX-G Request To Exit Dual Tech Sensor, Grey | eBay

I believe battery powered zwave devices like a handheld remote are transmit only and don't relay messages from other devices like the hard wired devices in the mesh network. So adding a bunch of battery powered devices doesn't improve your zwave network the way ac powered devices do.

My front porch is covered but there is only one small corner spot which will be taken by the turret camera

Whatever remaining spots i have in that corner , I might add an IR illuminator if I can get it far sea from the camera to reduce the bug issues flying in front of camera during warm season.

I wanted to replace the porch light with a 4,500 to 5,000 LED which is daylight color and leave porch camera on daylight color mode all time then trigger porch light when someone approach the door forcing them to look upward into the camera view. I am afraid that where the porch light is current mounted at that the light itself will blind the camera when lit.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
That gives me an idea, I could have a zwave light in the house that goes red when the alarm is armed. Let me know if these lights let you control when they change colors, I'd be using Lua scripts to flip the colors. :D
Right now I owned two of the Aeon LED bulb but I am having issue with the bulbs.

When I set a script to trigger a color, I wanted it to flash repeatly for a couple of seconds in the color I set it for like Green for front door, blue for video phone, and yellow for baby monitor etc The bulb would only dims on slowly then dim off slowly. It will not instantly come on or off.

I emailed Aeon support and they claimed that their bulb can do instant on or off. They said that the software Domoticz which I am currently testing with is at fault and the one that dimming on and off. not their bulbs

Aeon support posted about it on Domoticz forum some time ago but haven't gotten a response on it when I checked last time

I plan on giving a different home automatication software OpenHAB2 a try when I get some free time. I am using RaspPi 3 for my hub, that why I wanted to try domoticz first since it offer support for RaspPi but later found out that OpenHAB support RaspPi as well too