FDT (foscam compatible) should be 30fps but I can't get it past 15fps

Reaction score
My Amcrest and Tenvis cameras all work at 30fps but for some reason I cannot get my FDT camera past 15 in BI. The FDT is 30fps via the webview.

rtsp://192.168.1.199:554/11?action=play&media=video_audio_data runs at 15fps
http runs at 15fps

My max rate on the camera settings are set to 30.

Also I can't seem to get RTMP working which is supported by the camera. That is a 30fps source.

Sgarret3

n3wb
Reaction score
My Amcrest and Tenvis cameras all work at 30fps but for some reason I cannot get my FDT camera past 15 in BI. The FDT is 30fps via the webview.

rtsp://192.168.1.199:554/11?action=play&media=video_audio_data runs at 15fps
http runs at 15fps

My max rate on the camera settings are set to 30.

Also I can't seem to get RTMP working which is supported by the camera. That is a 30fps source.

I'm assuming when you say "camera settings are set to 30", you mean under camera properties of Blue Iris, and not inside the camera configuration that came with your FDT camera.

Not sure about FDT cameras, but for Amcrest, you have to set the framerate in the camera configuration software that shipped with the camera. No matter what you set Blue Iris framerate to under camera properties, it returns to the framerate set inside the camera configuration. This may be the same situation you are running into for FDT.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. The camera is set to 30. My Amcrest cameras are also set to 30. In the camera properties under both I also have the framerate set to 30. I think it auto detected that when I added the cameras. When I look at the properties where it shows current FPS the Amcrest is at a steady 30 while the FDT is at 15. It's so weird. When I view the camera directly via the web interface the flash feed is also 30fps.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. The camera is set to 30. My Amcrest cameras are also set to 30. In the camera properties under both I also have the framerate set to 30. I think it auto detected that when I added the cameras. When I look at the properties where it shows current FPS the Amcrest is at a steady 30 while the FDT is at 15. It's so weird. When I view the camera directly via the web interface the flash feed is also 30fps.
Is this FDT cam wired or wireless?

Reaction score
Tony, I'd agree with that 100% except its 30fps when I access it without BI. It's all local LAN on a gig managed switch (Allied Telesis). I have tools to look at the port. It's full duplex 1000mbps with no collisions or drops. The port is functioning. I get full performance when I view the camera directly via the web interface. Same with the Amcrest Cameras.

For some reason though, BI can't give me 30fps on the FDT but it works just fine for the Amcrest and some Chinese knock-off cams. Very strange.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
[
Tony, I'd agree with that 100% except its 30fps when I access it without BI. It's all local LAN on a gig managed switch (Allied Telesis). I have tools to look at the port. It's full duplex 1000mbps with no collisions or drops. The port is functioning. I get full performance when I view the camera directly via the web interface. Same with the Amcrest Cameras.

For some reason though, BI can't give me 30fps on the FDT but it works just fine for the Amcrest and some Chinese knock-off cams. Very strange.
Yes indeed! o_O

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's the way I have the camera configured in BI. Right now it's setup as a foscam compatible. The 30fps source is flash however. I couldn't figure out the string for the flash connection.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It is a curious problem, but I'm also curious if you see a big difference in 15 fps & 30 fps. I'm not being critical, some people just like the smoothest video they can get and if you have the resources for that then that's ok, I just don't see that much difference between 15 and 30 fps on my system.

Reaction score
When it comes to getting license plate numbers, 30fps and 15fps will be the difference of being able to read it and not being able to read it.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll probably find exposure time makes a big difference too but there are threads on here that detail much more than I know about setting up cams for license plate recognition.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's the way I have the camera configured in BI. Right now it's setup as a foscam compatible. The 30fps source is flash however. I couldn't figure out the string for the flash connection.
This is how my only Foscam is configured. It's different from what BI found on discovery. It's a FI9831:

Foscam-FI19831.jpg

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious Is the "webview" rtsp? BI uses rtsp and if you just view cam direct with a browser, it is not using rtsp. Testing with something like VLC will help prove rtsp since it uses that protocol. RTSP is implemented over tcp whereas the direct view is most likely udp and this can be the issue. Which would again point to what @TonyR suggested. Bad connection/cable/port.