Few questions on Dahua IVS Record/Snapshot duration and FTP

flying

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently installed a Dahua DHI-NVR5216-16P-4KS2 (verion 3.210.0002.2) with several 2MP Starlight IPC-HDW4231EMP-AS cameras. When I set up the IVS Tripwire to record video and take snapshots when triggered, how can I control the duration of the recording and snapshots? I tried changing System->General->Pack Duration, but it doesn't affect how long it records or takes snapshots. The recorded videos I've seen only last from 18 to 20+ seconds. How does this duration being determined and from where?

Also under IVS tripwire set up, how can I reduce the false alarms triggered by the reflection from the passing vehicle headlights at night?

Lastly, I've set up FTP under Network and I can see various jpg snapshots and .dav files being uploaded. But how does the NVR determine when to upload? Jpg snapshots seems to be uploaded right after triggered; but .dav files seem not being uploaded right away, the delay can be a few days late. Is this normal? And how can I replay these .dav files offline on a Windows machine?

Thank you in advance for these newbie questions.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why are you not recording continuously? if triggered off motion it will record until it decides there is no more motion.

to playback dav files in windows you want to download SmartPlayer off Dahua's site

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you record continuously isnt it pretty difficult to review the footage for events? I'm using BI but am contemplating switching to an NVR. I like the ability to quickly parse my events for anything suspicious, especially at night. In my culdesac, I typically only have 3 or 4 motion trips throughout the night. Right now it's quick and easy to review them. Is there a way to do something similar even while recording continuous?
Also the pre-record buffer is nice in BI. Can the NVR 5216 do something similar?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can use MD/IVS to flag events on timeline and still never miss anything.. I have both enabled but I can filter by just IVS and open list of files in SmartPSS and click through em.

your just risking missing something, hdd's are cheap..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
n8hunstman,

So in "Playback", the timeline flags an "event" in different colors than during non-event time (as nayr pointed out)
I'll add that in "Playback" you get a list of files. MD and IVS files (ie: the short recorded video) can be seen easily in the list.
Another method is to not display "Regular" in the playback timeline. This makes thd IVS and MD events really stand out in the timeline.
Rest assured, recording continuously DOES NOT require you to slog through a whole night's worth of video to find those 3 or 4 events in you cul de sac....

Fastb

halt00

n3wb
Reaction score
why are you not recording continuously? if triggered off motion it will record until it decides there is no more motion.

to playback dav files in windows you want to download SmartPlayer off Dahua's site
I just got my device, read the manual (confusing since grammar is so so poor and this is the most complicated camera I have purchased so far). How exactly do you go about setting up triggering motion and having it stop when no more motion occurs. I have been changing settings under Storage, Video Detection, etc. but there is no consistency in what gets recorded before motion happens and how long after motion stops. Admittedly I my test bed setup is not super rigorous.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Before tweaking how much pre and post MS recording is saved, I suggest using MS for a bit. For outdoors, it sucks. Too many false alarms.
This thread pertains to "IVS" , so I assume you have IVS cams.
Ditch MD, use IVS if you can.
Record 24/7. That will record everything, way before and way after an MD or IVS event. HD are cheap,, and will save you from continually tweaking "record on event" settings
Fastb