Fighting spider webs change from bullet to eyeball?

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tried everything but spiders won.
I am seriously considering to change the bullet cameras to eyeball equivalent cameras.
To do this I would need to use a pole mounting system.
I have looked at online pictures but am unclear about a few things. My pole is 1 1/2 " PVC.
Assuming I can get the mounting figured out, Do eyeball cameras have an easy up and down angle adjustment?
Am I barking up the wrong tree? Will this help reducing spiders?
Any suggestions of which two brackets?

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For a more inexpensive alternative consider shutting off the IR in the cameras and use external IRs mounted slightly away from the cameras. That would require a PoE splitter and a Y cable to power the camera and the IR. It also assumes that your switch is capable of supplying enough power, but that shouldn't be much of a problem. There are numerous threads discussing this kind of setup.

Bullets are definitely spider magnets. Newer bullets have the IR separated from the lens rather than in a ring around the lens which makes them far less prone to spider problems. I have turrets, new style bullets and the old, ring around the rosie, bullets. The only ones that are a real problem are the ring around the rosie style. You probably have more problems because of the climate in FL than I have in NJ.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you, great idea.
I happen to have a very powerful independent IR emitter on my house wall which is on from dusk to dawn.
So all I have to do is to figure out how to disable the dahua's IR; unless you already know that. That cam is
IPC-HFW4431R-Z.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've switched to external IR on most of my cameras, which helps a lot. I haven't seen a lot of difference between the bullets and turrets (my bullets do not have the ring of lights surrounding the lens). I have one turret with no light source within 30 feet of it and it still has spiders crawling on the lens and/or hanging webs in front of it occasionally.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The web gui is the web interface for the camera, IE direct control of the camera settings. You get it by entering the ip address of the camera on your browser address line and logging in with the appropriate credentials. Hopefully, you already have those.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The web gui is the web interface for the camera, IE direct control of the camera settings. You get it by entering the ip address of the camera on your browser address line and logging in with the appropriate credentials. Hopefully, you already have those.
Thank You Sebastian,
Wow, I got it, but...I searched, but could not find where to turn off the IR leds.
It happens with seniors :(

Also, I bought this from Amazon and have previously heard that these Chinese cameras with English language may not be update able.
So, I clearly have a button on the interface which appears to invite an update, but I am afraid that doing it may brick the camera.
?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use Hikvision cameras so I can't help much at all with them. If you can't find the setting I mapped in my other post, for Dahua, you've probably got hacked Chinese/English versions of firmware and are stuck with what you've got. Hikvision should have similar settings although the names and location may be different.

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z.

Bought from Amazon. How can I turn off IR leds?
Also, on the web browser interface is an Upgrade button. Is it safe to click it or is it going to brick it?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it safe to hit the upgrade button? Or will it brick?
My first advice: If you camera supports it, do not let it download an upgrade by itself. Download from a Dahua web site or other link posted on the forum, then update from the downloaded file.

Second advice: Don't update firmware if the camera is doing what you need it to. (I have to admit to sometimes being a fool and not following this).

Third advice: For a chinese market camera (which the 4431R-Z is), the only firmware you should upgrade to is what's offered in this forum post: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware . That is, unless you can read Chinese, because downloading to any other firmware will change it to Chinese language. The firmware for the 4431R-Z is the under the first spoiler. I'm using it in my 4431R-Z and it works very well. The version number is 2.420.0000.22.R, Build Date: 2016-12-09 .

dee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My first advice: If you camera supports it, do not let it download an upgrade by itself. Download from a Dahua web site or other link posted on the forum, then update from the downloaded file.

Second advice: Don't update firmware if the camera is doing what you need it to. (I have to admit to sometimes being a fool and not following this).

Third advice: For a chinese market camera (which the 4431R-Z is), the only firmware you should upgrade to is what's offered in this forum post: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware . That is, unless you can read Chinese, because downloading to any other firmware will change it to Chinese language. The firmware for the 4431R-Z is the under the first spoiler. I'm using it in my 4431R-Z and it works very well. The version number is 2.420.0000.22.R, Build Date: 2016-12-09 .
Thanks again tigerwillow1,

You confirmed my suspicions