Fighting spider webs change from bullet to eyeball?

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried everything to stop the spider webs without turning off the IR lights or nighttime alerts.
Switching to turret cameras helps a little, but the spiders will still use the camera housing to form their webs across the lens and IR light.

I have tried a peppermint oil/water/soap solution, which is somewhat effective until it rains.
I have tried the Ortho Home Defense bug spray. It works for about a week, but they always come back.
The same for canned bug sprays specifically targeted for spiders.
Even if it kills them, they will still try to get that web up across the IR light. It's that web strand moving in the wind that sets off the alerts.

The only thing that works long term is a strong smelling petroleum jelly such as Vicks Vaporub placed around the camera housing.
However, it is very messy and it will dry out after a few months.
You will have to go back up to the camera and clean the old stuff off before you put on new jelly.
You will invariably throw the camera out of visual alignment when you clean it, so I have avoided the jelly this year.

Reaction score
Where do I get a web gui? Mine came only with a special screw driver tool?
I love your innocence when it comes to cameras, i am glad your on here learning. I recently installed cameras at my aunts house and i had to show her how to use blue iris and she loves to sit there and scroll through her cameras everyday. She is 71. I have one bullet camera and the rest are turrets and i get webs every now and then, but they don't bother me.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it works don't bother it. In SC. My eyeball cams have a spider problem. I regularly use a nylon broom and gently brush near the front of the cams (about every 2 nights). Also spray poison around but that doesn't help much long term. The lumps on the strands set my trip wires off, otherwise wouldn't care. I'll eventually mount some IR lights outside.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Logged in to visit home and caught a trespasser. 0ne month old and the spiders have already moved in. So much for eyeball cameras.
And someone will have to show me one day how people upload videos to YouTube and link them to the post

Attachments

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Logged in to visit home and caught a trespasser. 0ne month old and the spiders have already moved in. So much for eyeball cameras.
And someone will have to show me one day how people upload videos to YouTube and link them to the post
Yeah, went to look at video and it wouldn't play. I thought MP4 was the right format, and I had posted an MP4 directly to IPCAMTALK before. Thought it worked.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Next step is to use a separate IR illuminator off to one side or the other. Any, and I mean ANY, source of IR will attract bugs and spiders because it is so visible to them. I keep the IR turned down, or off, on most of my cameras and rely on separate IR sources. I will say I have far less problems with turrets than bullets when it comes to spider webs, but they still do need an occasional cleaning as well.