File Formats?

Git

Banned
Reaction score
A couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with

I am currently using "direct-to-disc" with the Blue Iris DVR format, but I was wondering would I be better off using a different format?

The reason why I asked is I tried exporting a clip and it turned out pretty blotchy/pixelated - certainly not as clear as the original recording. What output format would give me the clearest video?

I would imagine if a serious crime where to have been recorded - law enforcement would want the original file (something to keep in mind). If your using the Blue Iris format this could potentially cause problems. Also, how often or how long do you have Blue Iris set to start a new file?

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
direct to disk is basically uncompressed. if you want to export a clip you can trim it in the reviewing menu and choose export. once you export you have the option of choosing which type of format you want to export to and how much compression which will affect file size/image quality. are you using AVI, MP4, or Windows Media. If not AVI what settings are you using with the other two? you need to play with these settings to get the quality you desire.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I played around a little bit with trim/exporting and it looks like to me that "AVI with no re-encoding" is the way to go

I noticed a suspicious vehicle stopped in front of my neighbors house for about 60 seconds and then stopped in front of my house - look at the passenger window

This is from my 2032 with a 4mm lens:

This is from my 2032 with a 12mm lens mounted directly above the other 2032. Very pleased with the performance of these cameras - license plate can be clearly read:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah hard to say, could be prowling, could be looking for a pet, either way they were not being very discrete if it was prowling.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nice job on the plate identification. i should get a 12mm and see what i can do. possible prowler but they are pretty obvious about it. or maybe they are looking for their lost cat or dog.