File Storage Help Required

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set the three drives with three BI folder. Set each folder to delete. Based upon the size of the drive and the size of the camera resolution, evenly distribute the cameras to the drives so that they all will be deleted at about the same time. DO NOT MOVE FILES BETWEEN DRIVES OR FOLDERS.
I can't seem to find where I can split cameras up to record to a particular drive. It just appears a global setting in "Clips and Archiving" tab... that's whats tripping me up right now.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bradner - you go into the BI setting for each individual camera to direct the recording to the folder you setup in the global setup.
ahh, found it.. I'm good at buying and mounting cameras but the other stuff gets me sometimes. Thanks!!

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ahh, found it.. I'm good at buying and mounting cameras but the other stuff gets me sometimes. Thanks!!
Ok so I put all my front yard cams on one drive and the back yard cams on the other and rebuilt the database - plus deleted a bunch of the stored files older than 2 weeks on both drives before rebuilding.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bradner - you won't have to rebuild for this LOL - but looking at the number of cameras you have, I would probably try to balance it more than front or back. Try to balance it such that if one drive fails, you are not completely naked LOL on the other side of the house. I have several cameras from all sides of the house going to 3 different drives so that if one goes out, I at least have an overview on the other drive. Any cams that you have that are redundant cover areas or significant overlap, I would recommend splitting them over the drives.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bradner - you won't have to rebuild for this LOL - but looking at the number of cameras you have, I would probably try to balance it more than front or back. Try to balance it such that if one drive fails, you are not completely naked LOL on the other side of the house. I have several cameras from all sides of the house going to 3 different drives so that if one goes out, I at least have an overview on the other drive. Any cams that you have that are redundant cover areas or significant overlap, I would recommend splitting them over the drives.
Sorry, I "repaired" the DB - not rebuilt. Good idea about the cams -- I'll split them up like you said, great idea. It's hard keeping track that's why I thought Front and back would be easy to remember as I was going through them all....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I "repaired" the DB - not rebuilt. Good idea about the cams -- I'll split them up like you said, great idea. It's hard keeping track that's why I thought Front and back would be easy to remember as I was going through them all....
Properly set up, there is no reason for it to be hard to keep track of. BI does it for you. Also look at setting up camera groups.