Finally a bird house camera

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We have had a pair of Northern Flickers nest in a birdhouse the past two years. I finally found a mini Ip camera with 940nm LEDs that is also POE. Attached is a picture, just the wood chips since the house is empty right now. Wife can't wait for the spring. We are hoping one will use the house for the winter as they have in other houses.
Got it from
Lightinthebox.com for less than $100. Here is link http://www.lightinthebox.com/960p-audio-poe-mini-ir-camera-smallest-10pcs-940nm-led-night-vision-mini-ip-camera-covert-network-onvif-with-microphone_p3912307.html.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

richms

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm half way thru building mine. How have you handled the lighting? Just use IR all the time or have you added something to let white light in during the day? I wouldnt want to be watching black and white all the time and I was worried that if I put some white LEDs inside it on a time or something that it might screw up and freak the birds out, so was considering just drilling a hole in the top and glueing some acrylic on it to let daylight in, and hoping it was enough to trigger the IR to turn off and the camera to become colour.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice. It'd be really fun to set up a camera here in a birdhouse. Do the red 850nm IRs really discourage birds or does the 940nm option have noticeable benefits that way?

richms

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got no idea about how birds see IR, I just figure that with the number of corpses that my cats bring in I should at least give a few birds somewhere nice to live ;) I bought some IR LED strip that I was going to just glue onto the lid of the box (since the fake 3M strip on LED strip is never any good) and hook it up to the handy 12v connector coming off the cheap little box IP cameras with POE I bought.

The plan is to put 4 up a pole with one of those 4 way POE splitters letting them all run off one cable back to the house. Shall have to see if its powerful enough for 4 cams and added LED strips.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put 850nm IRs in an owl house and every time she went in there she keep looking up at the camera. I'm not sure it was the camera or the IRs. This house has enough vents that the IRs are not on during the day. As far as lightning, this camera goes through a switch then to an Ubiquiti nanostation radio. So I may lose that fairly cheap stuff but not the NVR.

russedgar

n3wb
Reaction score
GCoco, Thanks for the picture and link. Can you, please, post a drawing/picture of the house and camera installed that I could copy. We use Mini 10X V1 Huisun's to watch the outside of our bluebird houses.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
great work, looks like you got it setup so it can be raised and lowered.. I suppose birds dont mind it moving around in the wind and all since they build in trees.. keep an eye on how the elements do to that rope, would hate for em to fall.. looks like its poly rope, should be fine for the long term outside if so.

how high up does it go?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's 20 feet and the wind doesn't move it. The Ethernet cable just hangs from the PVC box. The cable is direct burial which is also UV resistant.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Northern Flicker moved in last night. Here is a picture of him sleeping tonight.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
babies usually come in spring; when weather is more temperate and food is more available... especially so with migratory birds like Flickers

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I probably would have guessed that if I'd rechecked the starting post date. I just remember this thread running for quite a while and was hoping for baby pics. There're probably no "northern" flickers in Aus where it might be nesting season but I don't know actually know where the OP lives or a thing about the nesting range of flickers.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi GCoco,

Did you have any issues setting the cam up with regards to passwords etc? I for the life of me, cannot seem to change or add to user accounts.
ONVIF says it changed it ok, but nothing changes.

Paul

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera came with software which I ended up having to use to do anything with the camera.