Finally got some action

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My cameras finally got some action last night.

Got a guy that was dropped off by a beige Toyota Camry at 2:30ish last night and this guy went door to door trying to open cars that was parked in our area.

Unfortunately didn't get a good shot of the face

Spoke to my neighbor who owns the red van, apparently they picked the lock and went through his stuff. Didn't take anything from the van. Lucky for the owner of the van, he said the tools inside are worth a lot.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks to me like they didn't pick the lock, but just opened an unlocked door?

Where is your PTZ typically parked?
Judging by the name, it looks like the middle?
What method are you using to call it to the preset?
Can you adjust the method to get it to trigger and move to the preset earlier?

I feel you could have had something you could call a face capture if the camera had more time to get to that preset.

Your driveway is also narrow enough that I would consider parking it looking one way or the other, and not over the middle. Yes, this compromises the speed and efficiency of the other direction, but at least it as already parked at one preset and ready to go. Maybe you only do this at night since you can't see as far with the spotters to detect and trigger the PTZ to move with enough time to settle and track.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your cameras night image looks great. But it's difficult to ID someone when they are wearing hoodie over a baseball cap even during day time. I'm not sure he was lucky or experienced thief, he kept his head down and never looks towards your camera's direction.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks to me like they didn't pick the lock, but just opened an unlocked door?

Where is your PTZ typically parked?
Judging by the name, it looks like the middle?
What method are you using to call it to the preset?

I feel you could have had something you could call a face capture if the camera had more time to get to that preset.

Your driveway is also narrow enough that I would consider parking it looking one way or the other, and not over the middle. Yes, this compromises the speed and efficiency of the other direction, but at least it as already parked at one preset and ready to go. Maybe you only do this at night since you can't see as far with the spotters to detect and trigger the PTZ to move with enough time to settle and track.
PTZ is in the middle
I use wittaj tutorial to setup my spotter cam.
Is there any other way other then wittaj way? I was told that due to the distant, not much can be done to get a faster reaction time.

I would love to do this, at night point the PTZ in one direction, but then I need to know how to disable one of the spotter cam as well for the night. Example, point the ptz at night to left and disable the right spotter camera.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I worked with @dubber and he has such tight areas to work that getting a far enough spotter was problematic.

Set up a day and night profile in BI and for the night profile uncheck the options for the right spotter to trigger the PTZ.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I worked with @dubber and he has such tight areas to work that getting a far enough spotter was problematic.

Set up a day and night profile in BI and for the night profile uncheck the options for the right spotter to trigger the PTZ.
May I ask if you could provide step by step screenshots if possible? Please and thank you

Sorry for the troubles but with great power comes great responsibilities wittaj :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a great video on setting up profiles:

So you simply set up a Day profile and a night profile.

So in the day profile for the spotter cam, you have these checked - Move to PTZ Preset and the Trigger camera groups and Move Camera groups (your screen may be different)

1696979878819.png

Then in the night profile you uncheck those on the spotter cam Trigger

1696979990181.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your cameras night image looks great. But it's difficult to ID someone when they are wearing hoodie over a baseball cap even during day time. I'm not sure he was lucky or experienced thief, he kept his head down and never looks towards your camera's direction.
Yeah you got good captures and could clearly see the markings on the shoes and other features of the clothing that IF the police apprehended a suspect that night, or a repeat offender coming back, there is enough to make a case that it is the same person.

Too bad he didn't try the passenger side doors. And I agree with @Ri22o, that van was unlocked or he is the quickest lock picker around. It was too fast from when he went out of site until the interior light turned on.

You need more cameras - you need a varifocal zoomed in to about the area in red LOL

1696981471414.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't watch the video, but would have to agree. These types of thieves are not "professional" and the odds of them having and using lock picking tools is very small. They are looking for crimes of opportunity. Odds are 99.999999% that van was left unlocked by accident. I am generally super vigilant about locking my car door and walked out this week to an unlocked car. I was surprised, but thought back to how I parked the car and realized my routine wasn't normal and I did in fact forget to lock the car. It happens.... Luckily I wasn't visited by any door checkers that night.