Finally popped bobcat that was snatching my chickens...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What home assistant server are you using?
Home Assistant (HASSIO). TBH, I'm not that well versed with it. My brother helps me get it tweaked. It's running on a virtual box (vs. a Pi).

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guy out of Ocala, FL built this one for me about 10 years ago. It's all legit - had to get a trust, do the NFA tax stamp and wait for the form 4 to come back approved - I think it took just under a year to complete the process.

It's a simple design, no Nielson device, so it'll only work on fixed barrel guns/rifles. I have another one for my 9's (PTP tactical) that does have a Nielson integrated to help my Glocks cycle.

On the 22, it works great. The report from the target and the action cycling is louder than the shot itself, so long as I'm using sub-sonic ammo. Standard 40g high velocity .22LRs still make the distinct crack sound going down range.

The 22LR and the .223/5.56 caliber are close enough to all go through the same can, so I can 'suppress' my AR15. But the 3000FPS round make so much noise from the supersonic crack, you still should wear hearing protection (especially if fired under roof).

Suppressed supersonic rounds almost don't make sense...

ETA: Pulled my trust to verify manufacturer of my 22 can. Ron Dishop Silencers
If you have the time and money, look at a 300 blackout with a can. A subsonic round can be pretty quiet. Not 22lr quiet but not too bad. A Savage Axis or a Ruger American both have a model with a threaded barrel. Of you can go with an AR platform. You can get something called a Kali Key which modifies the bolt carrier and turns an AR into a bolt action. They are good hog hunting rounds so a bobcat should be no problem.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you have the time and money, look at a 300 blackout with a can. A subsonic round can be pretty quiet. Not 22lr quiet but not too bad. A Savage Axis or a Ruger American both have a model with a threaded barrel. Of you can go with an AR platform. You can get something called a Kali Key which modifies the bolt carrier and turns an AR into a bolt action. They are good hog hunting rounds so a bobcat should be no problem.
I've been interested in the 300blk but haven't had the time to do much research. I like the concept of a heavier subsonic round to up the kinetic force at impact. Thanks for the nudge.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
S&W M&P15-22. Shooting 22LR subsonic with a suppressor. Super quiet. Downside is, unless it's a head/heart shot, it won't be a clean kill. The suppressor will fit my AR-15 (.223/5.56) but the 3000+FPS round going down range is loud enough to wake my kiddos (and neighbors). Just too loud for after-midnight shots off the porch.
You have problems with jams using bulk ammo?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You have problems with jams using bulk ammo?
If I keep the stock 25 rd mag packed, I usually get a single failure to feed using the subsonics. I haven't fired bulk HV ammo in a couple of years, and honestly cannot remember having issues with the stock mag. I did buy some aftermarket mags, and had all sorts of issues with them, so I've stayed with the stock mag.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
If I keep the stock 25 rd mag packed, I usually get a single failure to feed using the subsonics. I haven't fired bulk HV ammo in a couple of years, and honestly cannot remember having issues with the stock mag. I did buy some aftermarket mags, and had all sorts of issues with them, so I've stayed with the stock mag.
Cci seems to be the most friendly