Finally some progress with my cameras.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having fun messing around and like i said earlier, this 30x is ridiculous , and the adjustable iris is amazing.

According to google maps, this license plate is 422ft away. 1 block over. AYE060
422ft license plate.jpg

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Too lazy to insert them in the original post, but here they are. I'm not sure, but I feel like there might be enough ambient light to keep the front cameras on in color mode? I'm still learning how to configure them to swap from color to black and white, and what optimum time that is to do so with recordings of the previous day.

Black and white stock settings.View attachment 14889
Black and white WDR 15
View attachment 14890

Stock settings in color
View attachment 14891

Black and white stock settings
View attachment 14892
Black and white WDR 15
View attachment 14893
Stock settings in color
View attachment 14894
PTS IR only
View attachment 14895

PTZ IR on, WDR 15
View attachment 14896
From those still pics, it looks like the b&w IR pics still may provide better detail.
You have any ealk by samples tested yet? Thiefs are not going to stand still for 10 sec.
for the cam to get a clear pic of them.
Nce looking architecture makes me think you are in a nice neighborhood and maybe safe area...you have much crime history in your area?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still have lots of tuning to do, i have about 6 different projects going on with the house, and this is last on the priority, but when i get free time i'm def. working on it.

Looks can be deceiving, 2 weeks ago at 8am someone got into a neighbors garage behind us and stole their bikes, 4 days ago someones house was broken into at 10am and had quite a bit of stuff stolen, their neighbors crappy cams showed the body's of them running, but nothing to ID(not even the car type)... xmas time the neighborhood had a TON of vandalism, probably over 20 cases in one weekend.....mix all that with people bitching about their packages getting stolen... I'd just rather not risk it, or at least try to help cover my bases.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Package theft is crazy lately around the country. How does that work with surance and liability wise with FEDEX or UPS I wonder?
Around my county a lady was caught stealing packages...she was like 65 and drove a nice Range Rover doing it...not the most subtle choice but still...WTF, right?!

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had to deal with it twice with UPS and it is a nightmare to deal with.... when the parcel has something like a ss card or personal info and gets stolen.... how do you put a price on that?

I use usps since I have a lockable box, and fedex as much as I can... i just have it delivered to one of their stores and I pick it up on my way home from work. Gso through mono price seems to be a little difficult for me, but they require signatures, so I have to drive to their center.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had to deal with it twice with UPS and it is a nightmare to deal with.... when the parcel has something like a ss card or personal info and gets stolen.... how do you put a price on that?

I use usps since I have a lockable box, and fedex as much as I can... i just have it delivered to one of their stores and I pick it up on my way home from work. Gso through mono price seems to be a little difficult for me, but they require signatures, so I have to drive to their center.
Sign up for the online services ups, fedex, and usps all offer so you get alerts about when packages are coming. If it's something important or particularly valuable you can usually make them hold the package for pickup.

The cameras are good too.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, that's what i have with fedex. :) I've been having Andy ship to me via fedex instead of dhl, and they packages always arrive 3-5 days. I just redirect it to a fedex store.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not always true, nicer neighborhood equals better stuff to steal and the douchebags know it.
This is very true a lot of thieves steal from places they won't be seen again and where they know people will be at work their 6-6pm jobs, this is why people break in at the day time because thieves know, no one will be home. Also if you can afford a nice house in a nice neighborhood their has to be nice stuff inside most of the time.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check this video out how many of you guys knew about this? I think this is the perfect way for someone to get into your house. Most people keep the door in the garage leading to the house unlocked because They think the garage door was secure them, guess again.there is a simple fix for this problem. Take a zip tie drill a hole and zip tie the lever from moving downward

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The garage door trick can be cured with a zip tie placed correctly on the carriage.
Hehe I just edited my post to include the fix ... but I'm willing to bet not a lot people realize how easy this is

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check this video out how many of you guys knew about this? I think this is the perfect way for someone to get into your house. Most people keep the door in the garage leading to the house unlocked because They think the garage door was secure them, guess again.there is a simple fix for this problem. Take a zip tie drill a hole and zip tie the lever from moving downward
no need to drill holes, the existing holes work just fine (yes even the holes with a small spring attached).

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no need to drill holes, the existing holes work just fine (yes even the holes with a small spring attached).
I know on my door I had to drill a small hole. Guess it just depends on your door ;)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having fun messing around and like i said earlier, this 30x is ridiculous , and the adjustable iris is amazing.

According to google maps, this license plate is 422ft away. 1 block over. AYE060
View attachment 15002
It would be interesting to see a shot at 25x from the same direction to get a sense of the difference between the 25x and 30x

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see a shot at 25x from the same direction to get a sense of the difference between the 25x and 30x

I was thinking the same thing, It would be nice to get a real world comparison. I was really up on the wall on getting a 30X for the extra money. If the HOA gives me hell, and i end up having to take it down, i wouldn't be against sending it to looney or someone trustworthy to do a comparison.

drlovety

n3wb
Reaction score
@wantafastz28 do you have a junction box behind your PTZ corner mount? If so, what junction box did you use, if you didn't, how do you keep water from ruining the cables? Great setup!

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No Junction box. If you setup the wires properly with a drip loop, water will not reach anything. All of the PTZ wires are tucked in the mast holding the camera. The Eave of the house also sheds the water past the camera. If I didn't have that, I would silicone or foam the mast to seal it. I also, silicon-ed the bracket to the corner mount, and all bolts(bolts holding bracket and lags going to wood/stucco.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Almost every big city dweller knows about this trick well at least the observant ones for LONG time. Thats why you get the side mounted garage door opener which connects directly to the pipe that turns the spring. The work around the city criminals figured out was to wedge something at the bottom of the door and lift up enough to get a jack in and the use the jack to basically crush the cheap aluminum of garage doors fold like paper