Finished my off camera IR lighting (part 1) - no more 'White Walkers'

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Today I mounted 3 small Tendelux Ai4's above my ptz camera in the woods. They are equidistant on an 8' 1X2 that is attached to the tree about 30" above the camera lens.
ir_lights_installed.jpg

I turned off the internal IR illuminator in the camera. It made quite a difference. The 2 clips that follow are a before and after of Ozzie the opossum. Ozzie visits every night. Its good to see him with his 'white walker' eyes gone.
Before
Ozzie with internal camera IR only

After
Ozzie with off camera IR - internal IR off

It was a fun project but I think I would have had more fun installing my 'light bar' today if the temperature had been a bit above 25 deg F. I plan to add another 2 cameras 100' from this one as well as adding several more IR illuminators.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
nice work! i'd suggest aiming the lights (at least one or two of em) a bit higher to better illuminate the upper third of your camera's view...

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nice work! i'd suggest aiming the lights (at least one or two of em) a bit higher to better illuminate the upper third of your camera's view...
Good pickup :)
I'm going out there today and do just that. Trying to find that sweet spot. Kind of a pain because I have to lug the step ladder into the woods every time I want to adjust them.