First 3 Cameras, Need Recomendation

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am ready to purchase my first 3 cameras. I have 3 parts of my property I would like to start with. I attached a few pictures from a GoPro at wide angle to help with frame of reference

Please can y'all help me decide which three cameras I should start with? I'm leaning towards Hikvision since that seems to be the camera of choice for most beginners.

1. View of the covered back patio and the pool. Camera is shielded from the elements under a patio covering
  2. View the cars and the garage entrance. Camera will only be shielded by a light overhang from the roof. Not sure if there will be any direct sunlight.
  3. View of the front door, with also being to see the mailbox and the intersection. Should be sufficiently shielded

I'd also like to be able to see license plates from the same cameras.

GOPR0071.JPG GOPR0072.JPG GOPR0076.JPG

All three would be protected under coverings. I have the ability to run POE, although I wouldn't mind them also being WiFi capable for future projects.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have some cams coming from Cantonk. I will post how they work once I get them. Nayr had some really great reviews on the Dahua mini PTZ and if they are out of the elements they are great cameras. I would highly recommend running cable instead of wifi though.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would appreciate to see your reviews. Thank you.

For permanent placement, I will be running cable. The WiFi is temporary until I can run the cable, and also so that I can do other things with them over time.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, I'd skip the wifi and focus on better cams that're suited for the purpose. They need power anyway, so unless you're just going to run extension cords and plug them in outdoors you'll be running cable anyway, soooo....

Not sure what you budget is either, or willingness to wait on shipping, desire for US warranty and support, what you'll be running to record the cameras, etc. With Hiks, you've got a good choice of NVRs plus computer software solutions so I'll ignore that part.

I'd go with turrets for all locations.

Pool cam I'd probably go 4mm as a compromise. 2.8mm is tempting but catching everything going on at the tables and equalizing exposure from the brightly lit pool area is going to be tricky on sunny days, but a 4mm will be tricky too. A 2.8mm will catch all the action at the tables and ID people going in and out the door (it's close enough for 2.8mm to work fine), but then there's too much shaded area for a good balance with the pool on sunny days and won't be good for ID at distance, especially at night. Definitely go with one of the new 120db WDR cams there unless you put two cams there- one for the patio at the original location and another outdoors. That one'll help a lot if someone creeps around at night near the pool without entering the patio.

Driveway 6mm. You'll sacrifice FOV but you definitely won't want that light by the garage door in the picture or light reflected from the fence by the pool in the picture anyway, plus you'll need the "zoom" for ID at night at the distance of your cars. If you need more coverage there, add a second cam. Covering two cars wide close to the house with a 6mm can be tricky but it looks like you've got the right angle to do it and catch the end of the driveway. If you've got great lighting there then a 4mm will make coverage easier but I like lots of pixels/face, especially at night. Car prowlers are the most common issue here.

Front door? At least 4mm, possibly 6mm, and mount it in corridor mode- not short and wide, but narrow and tall to avoid the walls but still catch the street and things down low near the door. I normally don't consider 6mm for a door cam but mounted in that little tunnel it'll help to avoid light glow from the walls at night and even the exposure to what you want- the opening, those approaching, the walkway, and sidewalk. Consider mounting it a hair more towards the door from the corner to allow it a straighter shot out. The newer 120db WDR cams should help here as well.

I'd be tempted myself to put in some new Dahua 4mp 4431C-A turrets though. You can get them from China relatively cheap and the firmware is upgradeable, unlike the cheap Chinese Hikvision offerings with hacked firmware which reverts to Chinese. US Hiks upgrade fine if you really need to though. Plus, the Dahuas've got built-in mics. Dahua makes a good NVR, and support is available from the States if you don't want to go the Ali route, especially for your first install.

Note that none of these have wifi. If I really need wifi I install Ubiquiti Nanostation wifi bridges with wired cams. Built-in wifi is crap.

I left out Hik model numbers because the US stuff from places like LTS use different numbers. DS-2CD2342WD-I is the 4mp Hik WDR turret number though.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations.

• I cannot find the 4431C-A online. Would you mind sending a link or two?
  • For the pool, I also have an option of putting a camera at the inside corner of my fence. It would cover the pool as well as my master bedroom window. See attached, orange markup
  • If I don't need to cover the pool with the patio camera, and only want to keep an eye on my belongings and the bay windows, would you change your recommendations?

home2.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a camera on a fence corner like that would be a good idea for a general overview, but you might end up wanting multiple cams there (with long zoom lenses) to watch entrances and such.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd probably go 2.8 on the patio to get more of it. Bp covered the link. I've been working and doing family stuff so not much time for looking stuff up. Just doing some catchup now.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got Alex's catalog, looks like he's got PTZ zoom cameras at reasonable prices. I was thinking about putting one of those on the fence corner so my wife and I could also zoom in on the bird feeders in the back yard. Plus, it would be awesome to leave it in wide view, then have it zoom in when we get wildlife in the back yard

Apparently I've been missing the ducks in the pool, and I'm also about to install a raised garden for my wife, would be fun to see who enjoys the fruits of her labors.