First cam in flycatcher nest box

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This was my first simple attempt to mount an ip camera in a bird box while "covering" the outside with a PTZ.
My next project is a to put a 4mp cam with audio in a larger box.

Main problem for me was to find a wide angle lens camera that had good depth of field without too much distortion along with a small footprint. The video above was shot with a no brand 1 mp Chinese camera with IR and a 2.8 lens. Installation was easy. Camera's housing diameter is 2/14 inches. So I cut out a 2/14 inch hole with a hole saw enlarged it slightly with a file, pushed the camera in as far as it would go then ran a bead of silicon glue around the opening.

Tubac

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah.. Totally cool. That sure was one big ass dragon fly the little guy ate :laugh:

TC

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking to do the same with a Northern Flicker house. You use a dome? Does IR glow bother birds. I was thinking of finding a 940nm IR camera so LEDs are no glow. How do you keep it from being too bright from IR in such a small place? Heat issues?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looking to do the same with a Northern Flicker house. You use a dome? Does IR glow bother birds. I was thinking of finding a 940nm IR camera so LEDs are no glow. How do you keep it from being too bright from IR in such a small place? Heat issues?
Hi,

1.i used this cam for that video:http://www.ebay.com/itm/POE-HD-1-0MP-720P-Mini-IP-camera-2-8mm-Wide-Outdoor-waterproof-Security-Network-/301674667412?hash=item463d361d94:g:AwcAAOSwqu9VTIr5

2. My new set-up:http://www.securitycameraking.com/IPVD-PR4IR-A.html

3. No, they seem unfazed

4. Well this camera has an advertised ir range of only 30 feet

5. Heat issues? I live in very southwestern Az. Those chicks survived 112 degree ambient temperatures with no ill effects!

Through dumb luck the camera turned out to be both cheap ,and in my case, just what the doctor ordered!

Best,

Tubac

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.