First Hikvision purchase

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum and looking for some guidance.
There are so many models out there..

Was thinking of the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-i to mount to the side of my house.
Got a driveway of about 25-30m. This looks to be a good & decent camera, but if you have a better idea, please share.
What do I want to use:
- Hook it up to something like Blue Iris or the Synology app. I have a Synology NAS.
- Good image is key, also in the dark
- Connect it using POE
- Future side project, numberplate analysis or something :)

I understand that there are plenty better camera's out there like Axis etc, but my price range is between 100-150€ / camera.

Any advice would be great, thanks a lot!

bearclaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Just a couple of points:

You have a long driveway so I would make a decision about what is important to you to see which will determine what your field of view is and what lens you want to use with your camera. Have a look at some of the comparisons for different field of views online. As for the darkness number one solution is proper lighting. If you do not have proper lighting you can only expect so much from the cams built in IR. If you are dealing with really dark conditions and are unable to add proper lighting, it might be worthwhile to check out the EXIR cameras as they perform better in darker conditions. as for the NVR, Blue Iris will work and Ive not had any experience with the Synology NAS, Im sure it probably works as well.

Good Luck!

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply

I was also looking at this one, DS-2CD2232-I5, This had the EXIR you mention.
However I did not like the quality looking at some of the videos on youtube.
Allthough this seems to be a more expensive model. Not much expensive, but still..

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not buying the DS-2CD2232-I5,*but to Get the Huisun bullet mini ptz there's not much difference in the price, but a lot of difference functionality.

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the Huisun better? Looking at the videos on youtube, I'm not sure about the quality. PTZ function looks nice.
Does this also track objects?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mini bullet ptz doesn't auto track, it's almost identical in appearance to the ds-2232-i5, the night images are better, day are the same but the added ptz and 10x zoom make it a sure winner. build quality is very good too.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was also looking at this one, DS-2CD2232-I5, This had the EXIR you mention.
However I did not like the quality looking at some of the videos on youtube.
Allthough this seems to be a more expensive model. Not much expensive, but still..
Just curious, what about the quality did you not like? As far as I'm aware, it uses the same sensor/chipset as the 2032-I with the only difference being the style of the camera's housing and the strength of the IR lights. As far as clarity, resolution, color reproduction, etc.., all of that should be pretty much the same on all of the DS-2CDXX32 models.

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum and looking for some guidance.
There are so many models out there..

Was thinking of the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-i to mount to the side of my house.
Got a driveway of about 25-30m. This looks to be a good & decent camera, but if you have a better idea, please share.
What do I want to use:
- Hook it up to something like Blue Iris or the Synology app. I have a Synology NAS.
- Good image is key, also in the dark
- Connect it using POE
- Future side project, numberplate analysis or something :)

I understand that there are plenty better camera's out there like Axis etc, but my price range is between 100-150€ / camera.

Any advice would be great, thanks a lot!
Hi there,

Had my 3x cameras (1MP each) connected to synology DS215j with 6T WD Purple (CCTV) HDD and it was dropping frames somewhere.

Have changed cables/switch/drive and still the same.

Bought HikVision NVR 7616NI E2 and so much better - everything is so smooth.

Also Synology software couldn't recognize my new 4MP cameras (no available to choose from HikVision models - your 3MP may be there) and it comes with only 2x IP camera licenses - had to buy 3rd one for £40...

Last edited by a moderator:

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious, what about the quality did you not like? As far as I'm aware, it uses the same sensor/chipset as the 2032-I with the only difference being the style of the camera's housing and the strength of the IR lights. As far as clarity, resolution, color reproduction, etc.., all of that should be pretty much the same on all of the DS-2CDXX32 models.
Hi,

Not really an expert, I was just looking at some of the video's on youtube. The most clear image, looking at those videos, came from DS-2CD2032-i. But this will then probably the same..

Kr

domelsnake

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was looking at those (DS-2CD2032-i) too but then decided to go for 4MP rather than 3MP (DS-2CD2042WD-I)

I bought from this seller (Joanna):

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b9N67Rn6

100% Western Region version with upgradable English firmware.

and as I said - forget about Synology as NVR - I spent few months trying different solution and can tell now HikVision NVR is brilliant compared to the other NVRs.

Last edited by a moderator: