First intallation - Please advise

rossi.tek

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm about to install an ip cam at the front of my house. The green lines show the boundaries.

I'm trying to get images of my car (I saw kids playing around it and some mark) and people approaching my house/garden gate. My initial idea was to install it under the door cover (number 4) but I believe it's too low and the car would block most of the view. Then I thought of placing it in position 3 but the door cover will hide people near the door under the canopy. Position 1 would give me less angle towards the street (at the back of the picture below). Position 2 might not be feasible, I've to check if I can drill there.

The pictures below are from the first floor windows.

Tomorrow I'll experiment with the 4 location I've identified but at the moment I think 3 might be the best one.

Photos are taken with phone, the camera has a wider angle.

Can you tell me if there are better places where to install the camera? Any comment about my ideas above? Anything I should check I'm not considering?

Thanks

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My initial idea was to install it under the door cover (number 4) but I believe it's too low and the car would block most of the view.

Do you want a pretty "view" of the street or to capture the faces of bad guys at your door/car? I never understand why folks want to place their cameras up high? Thats fine for overview or scenic landscape, but for security in a tight area like you have, I'd concentrate on getting good ID at your door, car, and gate. You'll still get plenty of street overview.

I would use position 4 for watching the front door and perhaps that side of the car. Anything more than 8' and you get tops of heads instead of faces. As the the gate, I'd go the same height on the corner, left of the downspout and just left of position 1, so that you can cover the other side of the car and get faces approaching your gate.

rossi.tek

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Position 3 would be under 8' (ground floor ceiling is only 7'2). I'll do some experiment identifying faces.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope the door light at position 4 will not overlight the camera lens when its on.

Check and see what the light will do when its dark. Sometimes you have to play with the day/night settings to get the best results.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
My initial idea was to install it under the door cover (number 4) but I believe it's too low and the car would block most of the view.

Do you want a pretty "view" of the street or to capture the faces of bad guys at your door/car? I never understand why folks want to place their cameras up high? Thats fine for overview or scenic landscape, but for security in a tight area like you have, I'd concentrate on getting good ID at your door, car, and gate. You'll still get plenty of street overview.

I would use position 4 for watching the front door and perhaps that side of the car. Anything more than 8' and you get tops of heads instead of faces. As the the gate, I'd go the same height on the corner, left of the downspout and just left of position 1, so that you can cover the other side of the car and get faces approaching your gate.
I'm agreeing with bigredfish. Go nice and low and you will get a nice long shot. It wouldn't hurt to have a second cam at position 1 to criss cross the other camera, this way you can see down street both ways.