First NVR Purchase Recommendation

jenn727

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

My first time post on this site and I look forward to learning lots from you guys.

I work for an ambulance company and we just secured a new 'warehouse' building to be used as a remote station. The ambulances will drive in the building, turn off the engine and the crews will restock the truck and new crews will start their shift and pull out. The building is approx 15k square feet and it seems like 12 cameras will cover the outside and inside of the building. I will be demo'ing two different HIKVISION cameras; the DS-2CD2732F-IS and DS-2CD2132-I. I think I want to use a HIKVISION NVR that supports 16 POE ports, but not sure which one will be best.

The cameras will record on motion only and will be on a separate VLAN from the other computers. I need to have multiple remote users accessing the system at the same time. All remote users should be able to independently switch between different LIVE cameras and playback without effecting other users. This has been an issue with other systems in the past.

Remote users will be using the web and IOS.

Thanks much!

Jim

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but have you thought about using a computer running BI with a 16 port poe switch? As Fenderman has suggested may times on here, you can get a refurb hp or dell business machine or like 350-400. This way your entire system isn't down if something goes wrong.

jenn727

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I have thought about that, in fact I already purchased the full version of BI and installed it on a VM as a test. I would need to secure an i7 desktop and a POE switch to make it all happen, but that is an option. I'm not sure how most people think about running a dozen or more 3-5MP cams with BI. I know that they advertise it can support up to 32 cameras, but kind of machine would I really need to purchase for my needs?