First time Blue Iris user

Reaction score
Have a question though.

I mainly install NVR's for the purpose of viewing camera footage for clients and came across this website but i am a bit confused. How does the blue iris software detect the camera's IP without an NVR? Is it through a poe switch?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have a question though.

I mainly install NVR's for the purpose of viewing camera footage for clients and came across this website but i am a bit confused. How does the blue iris software detect the camera's IP without an NVR? Is it through a poe switch?
That is one way - plug in cams into a POE switch and use 1 port to run a Ethernet wire into Bi computer NIC - there are steps to keep them off the internet using 2 NIC cards:
https://ipcamtalk.com/conversations/dual-nic.55355/

You can also view the cams through blue iris machine from the NVR. Type in the NVR IP and password. It will show all cam streams. What cameras/nvr are you using?

Reaction score
I mainly install uniview, dahua nvr's with hikvision cameras 2-4mp. I get them from a local CCTV place near my business but always looking for better quality products of course.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
As I understand it, generally, out of the box cameras have a pre-assigned IP address that is the same for every camera of that brand.

The manufacturer tells you what that IP address is.

You connect the camera to an ethernet port on a PC that is set up to be on that subnet (even if only temporarily, for the purpose of setting up the camera(s).)

Then you typically use the camera's web server interface, via a web browser, to assign a new and unique IP address to the camera. You set that IP address to be what you will ultimately want it to be on the network. You assign it as a static IP address.

As soon as you do that, the camera will become unreachable from the PC's Ethernet port (unless you happen to have assigned it to an address on the port's current subnet). That's only possible if the camera's default IP address just happens to be on the subnet you will happen to be using.

Then, once you have the new cameras all set to the addresses you want, you can set the PC's Ethernet port back to the address you really want it to be on.

I usually have a USB Ethernet "dongle" on a PC that I don't use for anything permanent. I just set it's IP address to whatever I need to use to access various cameras' default address ranges when I'm setting up new cameras, or setting up the automation controllers I use, etc. I also have a small POE switch that I can use with that "test port" for POE gadgets like these cameras.

That way, I don't have to mess with my "real" networks when I'm preparing new IP devices for use on whatever network they'll be on. It makes it really convenient to add new cameras or gadgets to various networks.

You need to keep track of the addresses you have used and have "free" on your various networks, of course.

Anyhow, once you've assigned these static IP addresses in the cameras, you can connect them to your BI systems and they're ready to be fully configured. Since you can now reach them on that system, you can even reassign their addresses if need be.

Every camera maker has their own interface (web server setup built into the camera) and default IP address. You have to find out what they use so you can access the camera initially this way to set them to the address you really want. Some browsers work better than others for "talking to" the cameras' web servers.

The automation controllers I like have a default mode you can reset them into where they go into a "bootp" broadcasting mode from which their software (that you run on the PC) can find them, and identify them by their MAC address regardless of the UP address range of the ethernet port you're using. From there, you can assign whatever IP address you want. I wish more gadgets worked that way. It is super convenient, and you don't need to fiddle with setting up an ethernet port on your PC to be on a particular address range.

Also, some cameras can have their IP addresses assigned via an app that runs on a phone or tablet. That's usually unique to that particular camera's manufacturer. And you have to install their app on a phone or tablet to use that, of course.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As I understand it, generally, out of the box cameras have a pre-assigned IP address that is the same for every camera of that brand.

The manufacturer tells you what that IP address is.

You connect the camera to an ethernet port on a PC that is set up to be on that subnet (even if only temporarily, for the purpose of setting up the camera(s).)

Then you typically use the camera's web server interface, via a web browser, to assign a new and unique IP address to the camera. You set that IP address to be what you will ultimately want it to be on the network. You assign it as a static IP address.

As soon as you do that, the camera will become unreachable from the PC's Ethernet port (unless you happen to have assigned it to an address on the port's current subnet). That's only possible if the camera's default IP address just happens to be on the subnet you will happen to be using.

Then, once you have the new cameras all set to the addresses you want, you can set the PC's Ethernet port back to the address you really want it to be on.

I usually have a USB Ethernet "dongle" on a PC that I don't use for anything permanent. I just set it's IP address to whatever I need to use to access various cameras' default address ranges when I'm setting up new cameras, or setting up the automation controllers I use, etc. I also have a small POE switch that I can use with that "test port" for POE gadgets like these cameras.

That way, I don't have to mess with my "real" networks when I'm preparing new IP devices for use on whatever network they'll be on. It makes it really convenient to add new cameras or gadgets to various networks.

You need to keep track of the addresses you have used and have "free" on your various networks, of course.

Anyhow, once you've assigned these static IP addresses in the cameras, you can connect them to your BI systems and they're ready to be fully configured. Since you can now reach them on that system, you can even reassign their addresses if need be.

Every camera maker has their own interface (web server setup built into the camera) and default IP address. You have to find out what they use so you can access the camera initially this way to set them to the address you really want. Some browsers work better than others for "talking to" the cameras' web servers.

The automation controllers I like have a default mode you can reset them into where they go into a "bootp" broadcasting mode from which their software (that you run on the PC) can find them, and identify them by their MAC address regardless of the UP address range of the ethernet port you're using. From there, you can assign whatever IP address you want. I wish more gadgets worked that way. It is super convenient, and you don't need to fiddle with setting up an ethernet port on your PC to be on a particular address range.

Also, some cameras can have their IP addresses assigned via an app that runs on a phone or tablet. That's usually unique to that particular camera's manufacturer. And you have to install their app on a phone or tablet to use that, of course.
That actually helped a lot. Ty for all that information. I guess another question would be is there a minimum requirement for BI systems? Currently i run a plex media server off of a dual X5650 with 64gb of ECCC Ram using unRAID OS.