first time cable pulling questions

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
None that I can trace to temperature. I did have an SSD dive fail after about a year and a half, it was just being used as a storage drive for occasionally used data, and one day it just went dead. I've had a M2 drive in for the boot drive for a year and a half with no problems and some of the platter drives are probably close to ten years old. Still haven't had a platter drive fail, there's six in the BI machine and three in the machine that provides backup/archival services. The platter in my laptop did fail, thinking about it, and now it's an SSD. The laptop comes on around 07:00 and runs until 23:00 seven days a week.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously lower temperatures are better but i was wondering what temperatures others here in the forum are happy to run their equipment at?

While I suppose a lot depends on the equipment specification I was wondering is there a maximum permissible or a rule of thumb?
iirc Google started running their data centers hotter than what the industry used to ..

How we do it. Our data centers use much less energy than the typical data center. We raise the temperature to 80°F, use outside air for cooling, and build custom servers.
ref:

Of course, they have redundancy setup .. so you'd have to decide if you want to run cooler.

For me knowing this, I now think of 80°F as the max temp for my setup.