First time CCTV Installation

Reaction score
Hello! Im new in this community and also in this type of project.

As you can see in the picture, I want to install 4 Poe Cameras (bullet or Dome I still dont know) outside my house. I dont want to see far distance pictures, I just want to observe and monitor the perimeter.
I will get Dahua products and was looking for a varifocal lenses 2.8mm-12mm cause I have not a clue of what I need. I like the view of 2.8mm cause its quite wide view for each side of the house...but very short view.

You will see in the picture that there is a small barn that needs to be monitored..that is why I put the camera next to it: to watch who tries to open it.

Dahua Bullet camera:
IPC-HFW2221R-ZS/VFS-IRE6

Dahua eyeball camera:
IPC-HDW2221R-ZS

NVR:
NVR2204-P-4KS2

- What do you think about the cameras position on the picture?
- Is it better Bullet cameras for wall installation?? or is the same?
- Do you think that 2MP cameras is enough with 2.8mm-12mm lense? NVR is 80Mbps which should be enouth on maximun quality of image.

I hope you can help me...Thank you!!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT and please read (and re-read) the Wiki up top with special focus on the Cliff Notes.

You'll find valuable info re: Camera-type, lens focal length, mounting height, camera mounts & boxes, Ethernet cable specs and splicing, crimping, sealing connectors, etc. of cable, POE info.....don't rush but do plan, plan, plan. "Measure twice and cut once" when it comes to deciding on cams and mounting same.

Good luck!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Avoid bullets (spider webs) and domes (hard to keep clean, UV attacks plastic)....turret style best.
  • Don't get caught up in megapixels....a 2MP with great low light performance is highly recommended, as most 4MP and up don't perform as well under low-light. You'll find that a 2MP, vari-focal lens, turret camera (Dahua "Starlight" or HiKvision "Dark Fighter") is the best all-around choice for many.
  • Many forum members suggest using a bucket of rocks and a 2x4 to determine best mounting locations. The right height IS important
  • Avoid wireless. Use solid copper CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum); for indoors, use at least CMR (Riser) rated cable. Buy from a reputable vendor (many use Monoprice) to insure spec compliance (counterfeit, non-UL approved is out there).
  • When possible mount cam (and box when used) under eave, overhang or soffit to extend the camera's life by limiting its direct exposure to sun and rain. Sure, it's outdoor-rated but it can lower your maintenance and keep the camera performing at its best longer.
  • Consider a dedicated PC running Blue Iris VMS software and a POE switch instead of a NVR.
  • If you want 4 cams now, you'll want more later...so don't buy a 4 channel; buy that 8 channel NVR or 8 port POE switch, leaving some room for expansion.

Last edited: