FITCAMX DashCAM

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I just recently installed a Fitcamx in our 2019 Toyota Highlander. At first I installed the 1440p version w/rear CAM, which was very good, then I saw the 2160p version so I returned the first one. I bought it during Christmas 2022 from Amazon so I had a return date through Jan. 31st, which worked out great for me.

This is the one I have installed:
1673565569095.png

INSTALLATION: Both Installs I did were extremely easy, 10-15 minutes tops. Add another 5-10 to install/setup the App and get it connected to the CAM. Of course the second CAM install went quicker. It is easy enough for just about anyone to do. FYI, I did not disconnect my vehicle's battery, just made sure my vehicle was Off (Just sharing, not recommending). The only issue I have had is trying to tuck the wires back up in the shell, but IMO this is because of the extra Rear CAM and its cable being installed in the cabin of our vehicle.

OPERATION: This Dashcam starts recording to its Micro SD card once you turn on your vehicle and remains recording till you turn off your vehicle. To view or retrieve the footage you connect your phone/tablet to the CAM's WiFi (Access Point) via the Fitxcam App. Retrieving the footage requires downloading to your phone/tablet while your vehicle is on/operating. Of course you can also remove the SD card to get the footage. The videos are in date/time order, the front and rear videos they are grouped together to view/download.

AUDIO: I have nothing bad to say about the audio. Our Highlander has impressed us with its lack of road noise so our audio from the CAM is very clear. I have not tested it with a full car of people, which our highlander has the third row seating. (I will be sharing future videos)

VIDEO: The video quality on both the 1440p and 2160p versions are among the best I have seen from a DashCAM, though this statement is from having a cheap DashCAM in my past and viewing friends/family CAMs. License Plates are very easily read, zooming in on a video I can read plates a couple of cars away distance. The Rear CAM also is of good quality at 1080p. I am able to clearly see the driver and passenger and side and back windows are also in view. One video that comes to mind was a police car that cut me off on a ramp entrance, turns out he was going after someone without his lights/siren on, when viewing the Rear Video you could easily see him come up on us on our right passenger side and then viewing the Front video was nice to have both CAMs (I will be sharing future videos)

REAR CAM: I did not install the Rearcam at the rear of my vehicle, I ended up putting it right above my rear view mirror. My plan is to mount it (with 2 black screws and two lock nuts) to the plastic piece at the rear of the Dashcam.

1673566606861.png

RECORDINGS: (Video is saved in one minute clips with filename format: year/month/day/hour/minute/second/underscore/filename with A being Front CAM and B being Rear CAM ex. 20230105105029_000993A.mp4 for Front CAM, 20230105105029_000993B.mp4 for Rear CAM)
SD Card Recordings:
Downloaded Recordings: The format is MP4
2k Version (1440p) Front CAM: 1 minute of video avg, file size = 83MB
4k Version (2160p) Front CAM: 1 minute video avg. file size = 129MB
Rear CAM (1080p): 1 minute video avg. file size = 47MB

This is the downloaded video info from the 2k CAM:..........This is the downloaded video info from the 4k CAM:..............This is the downloaded video info from the Rear CAM:
1673623249876.png1673621632728.png1673623162948.png

ISSUES: Only thing I can report is if you are connected to the CAM via WiFi, you cannot, to my knowledge, connect to any other WiFi device. While connected, my phone (Samsung S20+) functioned like normal, receiving calls, was able to text and browse the Internet, of course through my cell service network. No other problems/issues so far.

NOTES: Before FITCAMX would complete my order through Amazon, I got this message from them, assuming they do this too if you order direct from them:

1673617856982.png1673618564237.png

COMMENTS: When I was looking for a DashCAM I looked at several from friends/family. I did not like how their cables had to hang/run down to find power. Also, not a fan of the suction cup mounted ones and the ones that strap to your rear view mirror just seemed cheap. In my past I have had a radar detector stolen, the window replacement ended up costing more than the detector. I have also had a GPS stolen so I really liked the idea how retro this DashCAM was. I checked out Toyota's Dashcam but it would not work on our year model of vehicle, according to what Toyota told me. The plastic shell on this FITCAMX looks great, has the same grade/quality (thickness) as the one I took off from Toyota. The color and texture matches perfectly. I truly looks like it came from Toyota. At first I did not like the idea of having to connect my phone to the CAM to view Live feed but other than the extra step in connection, it is pretty much the same as if you had a screen on your CAM, IMO. The downloading of the videos does take much longer (2x) as long as on the 2k version.

CONCLUSION: If you are looking for an Integrated Retrofit CAM and there is not a manufacturer's option, I would highly consider looking at the FITCAMX. The price is about the same as if you were to buy one from the vehicle manufacturer even though it is much higher priced than the non-fixed portable ones out there. Installation is a breeze, only issue I had is trying to

Please check back to this post as I will be updating it with more info

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4K Version:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OPERATION: This Dashcam starts recording to its Micro SD card once you turn on your vehicle and remains recording till you turn off your vehicle.
Is there an option to record while parked to keep an eye out for poor drivers in the parking lot, etc. ?
Thanks for the great write-up, BTW.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there an option to record while parked to keep an eye out for poor drivers in the parking lot, etc. ?
Thanks for the great write-up, BTW.
Yes, you can buy a cable to directly connect to power, I believe it gets power from your fuse panel or wiring harness. I have not done much research on it yet since I am new to this CAM but I will probably most definitely be installing one in the future. Just hope there is a safety to not drain your battery.

Here is an example:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, one thing I found is it is best to do a Search for your model of vehicle by name in their Search Bar on their site, when I went to Toyota their description did not have the Highlander listed but when I went to the Add to Cart section...Also one more thing, i will include this in the first post, when I ordered it from Amazon, assume directly from them also, they reached out to me and requested pictures of my shell prior to them completing the order. I guess they do this to lower their returns since they look like they are out of China...

1673617512806.png

Here is the message I recieved from FITCAMX:
1673618073064.png

This is the picture I sent them:
1673618233590.png

First order (2k CAM) came quick from Amazon, second order (4k CAM) took much longer, assuming it had to ship from China.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy a cable to directly connect to power, I believe it gets power from your fuse panel or wiring harness. I have not done much research on it yet since I am new to this CAM but I will probably most definitely be installing one in the future. Just hope there is a safety to not drain your battery.

Here is an example:
Good to know.
But FWIW, I can't imagine a dashcam draining a healthy battery even overnight.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know.
But FWIW, I can't imagine a dashcam draining a healthy battery even overnight.
True, but being Semi-Retired, we do not use our vehicles daily. The wife has a 2017 Taurus that sits in our garage, ran weekly, she takes my Highlander most of the time, she really likes it...I wanted to get another truck but this SUV was a good replacement for our aging 2008 Jeep. We bought the Highlander Used (2 years old) with only 13k mileage, came with a 7 year warranty plus it was Certified for the first year and it is a Limited Platinum (AWD), the new Highlanders only had a 5 year warranty. This thing even has a heat steering wheel, which I hit by mistake once :), Front Heat/Cooling Seats, Back are only Heated, way too many options to list. The lane assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot sensors, 4 cameras all away around with bird eye view, etc. This Highlander really has came in handy for us Old people :)

This is a similar Highlander, Same Blizzard Pearl color and same interior as ours:

What I would really like to see/incorporate, is a way the DashCAM would show how fast I was going, maybe the vehicles that come with DashCAMs has this option, don't know, but it sure would be a helpful addition...as long as you weren't speeding :)

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This thing even has a heat steering wheel, which I hit by mistake once :), Front Heat/Cooling Seats, Back are only Heated, way too many options to list. The lane assist, adaptive cruise control, blind spot sensors,
Sounds like my wife's 2020 Ford Fusion Platinum, the last year of the Fusion.... even has rain-sensing wipers. :cool:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like my wife's 2020 Ford Fusion Platinum, the last year of the Fusion.... even has rain-sensing wipers. :cool:
Haha, this one too. This was another thing I thought was wrong with it when the wipers came on by themselves...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have to share a Dashcam story since we are in the Dashcam Forum.

My nephew was on the freeway and got sideswiped by some guy, the guy took off so he tried to chase him down but lost him. He pulled into a Police station and reported the incident, gave the the vehicle info. The Police called ahead and sure enough they were able to pull the guy over. When they asked the guy if he hit anyone, he said no. The Police saw that he had a dashcam and made him show them the footage and they were able to see that he did hit my nephew.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Confirmed known issue; If you are connected to your DashCAM via your Phone's WiFi viewing Live footage and you get a phone call while your Phone is connected via Bluetooth to your vehicle's Infotainment System, you will experience interference. This has happened with my Samsung S20+ Phone.

I read about this happening on a few other website reviews, I did verify that the recorded video is not affected, so for me this is not a Deal Breaker.

Here are a few examples (Phone screenshots while in FITCAMx App.):
1674424693019.png1674424825177.png1674424942182.png

Last edited: