Fixed IR Cut Filters

aarroyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm actually designing a project involving cameras (board cameras in particular). I am looking at some cameras for day and night, but due to the heavy vibration environment where the camera would be, the camera cannot work with mechanical IR cut filters. Instead I want to use 2 cameras, 1 for day (with IR filter fixed and permanent) and 1 for night (without filter). The problem is that I haven't found a single board camera that don't use and automatic/mechanical IR Cut filter. There's no cameras with fixed IRCF

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that I haven't found a single board camera that don't use and automatic/mechanical IR Cut filter. There's no cameras with fixed IRCF
Generally a fixed IR filter would be on the lens itself.
So you'd have to buy a lens that has one as part of its construction.

Most commonly a lens would have no IR filter on it such that a mechanical IR cut can be used.
So to cover both cases you'd want lens mounts that are not designed to use a mechanical IR cut filter, a lens with no IR filter, and a lens with an IR filter.

aarroyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally a fixed IR filter would be on the lens itself.
So you'd have to buy a lens that has one as part of its construction.

Most commonly a lens would have no IR filter on it such that a mechanical IR cut can be used.
So to cover both cases you'd want lens mounts that are not designed to use a mechanical IR cut filter, a lens with no IR filter, and a lens with an IR filter.
Thanks for your answer

Yes, but the camera that I want to mount must have an optical zoom, autofocus, etc, and therefore it cannot be a separate lens. E.g, I was thinking in this camera 5MP 4X Zoom IP Camera Module NST-IPX1635-AF IMX335+HI3516EV300 - IP Camera Module
or this Hangzhou Xiongmai Technology Co.,LTD.-H.265 2.0M 10X Optical Zoom Camera Module

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
therefore it cannot be a separate lens
Understood.
I was suggesting actually replacing the lens with an IR-filtered lens, and the lens mounts to remove the IR cut.
Or you could replace the lens mounts (to remove the IR cut facility) and add a fixed IR filter to the existing lens.