Fixed lens out of focus, with every re-start?

OlliePope

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a very strange problem with my IP-Camera.

When I got the camera, I installed the software on my phone which was very easy. When I saw the images on my phone they looked out of focus. The seller told me to open up the camera and adjust the lens so the image would be sharp. Although I'm not very technical I managed to do this. It is a 'fixed' lens but there is a possibility to adjust the lens by turning it a little bit. At first I thought it couldn't be done but I saw some "screw thread". So I thought it was possible. And it was, although it looked like the lens was 'fixed' by some glue. But I managed to turn the lens (removing the glue) and get a sharp image. I was happy.Mobdro Kodi

Untill the next day. I wanted to look at the image again and saw that the image was blurry again. At first Ithought that I turned the lens when putting the camera together. So I opened up the camera again and turned the lens until the image was sharp. By the way, this 'turning' needs some power so it's not the case that the lens is very loose. You really have to uses some strength to turn the lens. After having a sharp image again, I put the camera together again. Then after a few hours I wanted to see how the image was when it was dark outside. To my surprise,.....the image was blurry again. But I thought that I was maybe wrong because it was dark outside. The next morning although I looked again by daylight and the image was blurry again. I couldn't imagine that I had turned the lens by accident again when putting the camera together so, after turning the lens again to a sharp image, I 'marked' the position of the lens to the piece where it was mounted to. The next day I started up the camera again and guess what?...........Blurry image. I opened up the camera again ( I was getting quick with that) and saw that the lens was exactly on the same spot as the day before when it showed a sharp image. So the lens had not been turned.

How is this possible? It's a fixed lens so it has no autofocus or whatsoever. But every time I start up the camera I get blurry images. Although the lens is exactly on the same spot as before when it was giving me sharp images.

Anybody has an idea?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Folks have had to do this with good cameras like Hikvision and Dahua, and sometimes it is simply related to the field of view someone is trying to use it for isn't the "focus length" the camera was designed for. Not a big deal if it is a one and done to focus it to the field of view you have.

And you have confirmed you are looking at the mainstream and not the lower quality substream?

Which camera brand is it and is it a dome camera? If it is a dome camera, the dome can be altering the focus.

Are you changing the focus with the camera at it's install location or are you pulling it down, taking inside and focusing in there? If so, you are then focusing it to a distance that is not the same as where you are installing the camera.

So unless it is a name brand camera or it is a dome and that is altering your focus from what you set, or you are adjusting the focus not where the camera is installed, then it sounds like a cheap camera that is altering the image through firmware and you should look at returning.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sounds like you have been mostly looking at only once per day. Does it get direct sunlight on it? Is it possible that temperature changes are causing the distance between the lens and sensor to vary just enough to cause the problem? Sounds like maybe a poorly designed camera.