Flag Installation Question

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not really a question about camera placement, but flag placement.

Now that I've got a cam to record license plates, I found that my flag is periodically triggering/blocking the camera. I even moved it slightly thinking that might give it enough distance, but it still occasionally triggers.

Dahua22.20220526_195125962.37.jpg

I Googled flag placement on garage gables but didn't find any examples. Is it ok to hang a flag on the garage gable? I'm thinking 2/3rd up the gable above the open garage shown here. I just don't see anyone doing that. The other thing is I wouldn't be able to untangle the flag if it gets wound up. Would need to engineer something to prevent tangles I think.

The cam is just barely visible on the far left eve
IMG_3532.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, a gable is OK. Just make sure that:
  • If the flag is flown at night that it is properly lit all night; cast off light from a porch light nearby doesn't count, it should be a spot or flood lights(s) put in place specifically for the flag.
  • No other flag to be flown to the flag's right (your left when you face the flag).
  • Insure the flag is outdoor-rated
That appears to be a pretty big flag for that pole, is it bigger than a 3' x 5' (4' x 6' maybe?). If so, consider a smaller flag with the pole at an angle. Some pre-packaged kits have a device that attaches to bottom inside corner of flag to help with the tangling issue OR use spinner rings top and bottom.

Thanks for asking and thanks for flying Old Glory respectfully and properly. BTW, here's my go-to flag store ==>> United States Flag Store

OldGlory50stars.gif

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of solar post lights that actually produce a fair amount of light. They're not from WallyWorld or any of the big box stores. They're powered by replaceable 18650 LiPO batteries so I modified them and put in two 1500ma batteries in each light. Even with that in the dead of winter they shut down before dawn. I keep thinking about a larger solar panel, roof mounted, to power a spotlight for a flag so it can be displayed 24/7.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for that info!

This has me thinking of a bigger project now, to install an outlet under the eve to provide electrical for a flag light. I also hang a Christmas wreath on that gable and the extension cords start to get messy.

Wish I had a decent front yard so I could install a flagpole... I bought the biggest flag I could really get away with, which is 4x6. My dream would be to have one of those massive flags that you see at Harley Davidson dealerships.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got one of those flag poles with the collars that are supposed to let the flag untangle, but it never works. Wish there was something with ball bearings or something. I kinda think even zip ties and a collar would work better than the Chinese junk I've got.

I'm not mounting anything to the gable until I can solve the tangle issue. Then I'll patent it and become a millionaire. That will fund a much larger flag.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that the spinning collars don't work and come apart after a short time.

The 2-1/2 ft. metal rod that hooks to the bottom tip of the flag and swivels from the pole and limits its travel to 90 degrees may be more effective but it's VERY expensive.

I'm just glad I've got a pole, less issues with tangles. But being 500 yards uphill from a 20,000 acre lake presents its own problems: the dew is very heavy, it's always humid, the flag is on the north side of the house so it's damp until 3 PM every day. My flags mildew and turn green before they fade or fray and the rope as well. I get 1 year out of even a good flag and 2 years out of the rope. I can bleach the rope to kill the mildew but not the flag!

Not complaining really....it is what it is, though. :idk:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you could do with a synthetic flag. They can suffer from fraying more but are less prone to mildew etc than cotton.

The only other idea I have would be to waterproof your flag with an outdoor clothing waterproofing agent, maybe somehting wash in, and maybe take your flag down say every 6 months, wash it and then wash in more waterproofing (seperate wash). I know there are silicone sprays etc for waterproofing clothing but there are also some wash in agents for cotton. Some of these are more wax based I believe. Not sure what would work, but might be worth an experiment with a new flag.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking of which, what is the appropriate way to retire a flag?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that info!

This has me thinking of a bigger project now, to install an outlet under the eve to provide electrical for a flag light. I also hang a Christmas wreath on that gable and the extension cords start to get messy.

Wish I had a decent front yard so I could install a flagpole... I bought the biggest flag I could really get away with, which is 4x6. My dream would be to have one of those massive flags that you see at Harley Davidson dealerships.

Beautiful flag..

The largest I've ever seen, I believe, flies at Carl Cannon Buick Chevy Caddy in Jasper, AL right off I-22. Not sure how big it is but compared to the cars below, a guess would be 30' x 50' !!! Takes lots of wind to fly it which it sees a lot being on a VERY tall pole near a wide open are surrounding an interstate and the its associated ramps.

It's lit at night and when it's fully unfurled and showing the slow roll and flip it's glorious....gives me the chills when I see it.

cc-flag.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you could do with a synthetic flag. They can suffer from fraying more but are less prone to mildew etc than cotton.

The only other idea I have would be to waterproof your flag with an outdoor clothing waterproofing agent, maybe somehting wash in, and maybe take your flag down say every 6 months, wash it and then wash in more waterproofing (seperate wash). I know there are silicone sprays etc for waterproofing clothing but there are also some wash in agents for cotton. Some of these are more wax based I believe. Not sure what would work, but might be worth an experiment with a new flag.
I'll give it a try as good, USA-made flags are $25 or more. Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of which, what is the appropriate way to retire a flag?
Lower it slowly, keep off the ground, fold it informally, then burn it completely, tend the fire until done, dispose of the ashes, preferably by burial. Takes some heat since most are rayon or nylon, tend to just melt if not a big enough and hot enough flame. I've done in a burn barrel and also in an inverted metal trash can lid. You might need an accelerant.

Many local Boy Scout troops will do it for you, I'm told.

How to Dispose of a Flag

Reaction score
... being 500 yards uphill from a 20,000 acre lake presents its own problems: the dew is very heavy, it's always humid, the flag is on the north side of the house so it's damp until 3 PM every day. My flags mildew and turn green before they fade or fray and the rope as well. I get 1 year out of even a good flag and 2 years out of the rope. I can bleach the rope to kill the mildew but not the flag!
Regarding mildew on your flag, try Wet and Forget Concentrate available at various hardware stores, etc. I have personally had good results on a fence and vinyl siding that get little sun exposure. Have never tried it on a flag or rope but the product claims to be bleach-free, non-acidic and suitable for all outdoor surfaces. You mix it with water and apply with a typical pump sprayer.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding mildew on your flag, try Wet and Forget Concentrate available at various hardware stores, etc. I have personally had good results on a fence and vinyl siding that get little sun exposure. Have never tried it on a flag or rope but the product claims to be bleach-free, non-acidic and suitable for all outdoor surfaces. You mix it with water and apply with a typical pump sprayer.
I'll give it a shot (pun intended) !
Thanks for the info!

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Went to the St. Paul rodeo on the 4th and found my flag tangle solution.
The arena is surrounded by flags, and I noticed the bottom corner of every flag was tied to the pole with rope.

I took fishing string and attached it to the bottom corner of my flag, then anchored it with an eyebolt to the ground. I gave it some slack so it can wave in the wind, but not so much that it can turn over itself or trigger my camera.

IMG_3683.jpgIMG_3684.jpgIMG_3685.jpg

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm finally flying our flag 24/7. I bought a solar powered floodlight and it's mounted directly behind the flag so the flag gets fully illuminated from behind. I am thinking about adding another light and moving them so they come from the sides. When I got the light the first thing I did was take it apart and install a 3000mah 18650 battery replacing the 1200mah that it came with. I tested the light for a week before mounting it to make sure it would stay lit even after a couple of cloudy, rainy, days.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.