Flash 8ch firmware to 4ch NVR dahua

xMikooo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, since dahua's NVR2108-4KS2 and NVR2104-4KS2 are the same physical hardware the only difference I think is the flash memory with channel info, I would like to ask if it's possible to flash 8 channel firmware to 4ch DVR. Of course updating through web interface fails, there are checks built-in but I suppose that maybe using UART and TFTP recovery it can be possible to flash the firmware, again only difference between these two models is the firmware. Or maybe somehow modify 8Channel firmware to appear as 4ch one? Did anyone have success with such procedure?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In most case's an NVR that is designed and sold as a 4 channel, isn't able to be updated to 8.
Those two models use the same firmware, so it's hard coded in the motherboard.

xMikooo

n3wb
Reaction score
In most case's an NVR that is designed and sold as a 4 channel, isn't able to be updated to 8.
Those two models use the same firmware, so it's hard coded in the motherboard.
Yes, unfortunately the firmware is the same, however maybe by gaining access to UART and interrupting the bootloader, you could reprogram the flash chip? But I think we would need dumps from both NVR versions and compare it to see where's the difference. I know that that's how businesses work but it's upsetting they sell same NVR even with same CPU only different flash chips.

kobebeef

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4CH upgrade to 8CH
You have to remove the original DRAM and replace it with a DRAM with double the capacity
Also, the configuration resistors must be changed.