Flex Conduit from bullet camera

Ethrex

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got a 4MP DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet (wow what a difference from ACTi E33A!). I am mounting it under the eave of my house, so it won't be hit by direct rain (unless it is sideways rain which is extremely rare). Despite that I'd like to seal my PoE connection with flex conduit coming out of the house and to the camera.

First, is it really necessary to weatherproof with flex conduit? The camera came with a little plug which seals the wire ethernet connections. However, the optional 12V DC port is not sealed and is just hanging off. What happens if that port gets wet? Will it rust, etc?

If I am to put flex conduit on, how is this to be done? The two main problems I see are:
1) The wire comes out of the camera a good foot. If I were to put the whole wire in conduit how do I make the connection of the two wires inside the conduit? I am assuming to keep it water tight the conduit is a single tube coming out of the wall and all the way to the camera.
2) How is the conduit connection to sealed to the camera. The wire comes out of the mounting plate but there is no obvious way seal this connection.

Am I attempting to over-engineer this? What do most people do?

Thanks