Floodlight with wireless camera questions

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to buy a wireless flood light camera I have blue Iris and a few cameras around. All my cameras currently are hardwired via Poe. The spot where this flood light would go would we be replacing an existing light there and there's no way to run a lan to it. What's everyone's thoughts on which brand to go with that would work with blue Iris. I see foscam and eufy. I know wireless is not ideal but I still want to use it. Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on a Powerline adapter to run the data over your existing electric lines.

Otherwise, you have to watch because many of the wifi cams are proprietary and won't work with BI.

This is one that will sold by trusted member Empiretech.

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The power line adapter would be nice but I think very difficult to fit in that area.

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone used the foscam one and was able to connect it to blue iris. It's the cheapest one at about $105

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody that tried to foscam can commemt if they've successfully connected theirs. Or I could just try.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody that tried to foscam can commemt if they've successfully connected theirs. Or I could just try.
Several amazon reviews state that the Foscam is ONVIF compliant and provides RTSP, one reviewer states they use it with Blue Iris. I have no opinion one way or the other but I'd buy it from a place like amazon with free return if you don't like it or it doesn't work out.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I have 4 of them. They work. Anything specific you want to know?

Some generic notes:
  • They are onvif compliant but don't expose all the capabilities. I think just the stream but not the sensor.
  • Has an open api, can be integrated with things like Home Assistant for light control.
  • Their app kinda sucks but you are using BI anyways.
  • You can get access to more settings for the camera by running their nvr software just to configure it.
  • When you first set it up, you will need to flip the nvr switch in settings to get the stream to go over to h264 to reduce load on the BI server.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that it is best to keep the spot light on all night. If you plan to trigger the light from the motion sensor, it isn't going to work well for the camera. That's because the camera will have it's exposure based on the "dark" scene and then it will have to readjust the exposure based on the added light the flood light will bring. It can take several seconds to make this adjustment and during that time your camera footage will be worthless. Murphy's law dictates that the "most important" footage will occur during this transition and won't be usable.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to buy a wireless flood light camera I have blue Iris and a few cameras around. All my cameras currently are hardwired via Poe. The spot where this flood light would go would we be replacing an existing light there and there's no way to run a lan to it. What's everyone's thoughts on which brand to go with that would work with blue Iris. I see foscam and eufy. I know wireless is not ideal but I still want to use it. Thanks
I have two of these installed and they work flawlessly for me.

1708098019652.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jamson

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm going to get the foscam one and try it out. I appreciate all the help. I do have home assistance so I'll try to get it linked to that also. I haven't setup blue iris through homeassist yet.

cosgrale

n3wb
Reaction score
According to TP-LINK, their Tapo C720 wireless floodlight camera is ONVIF compliant and can provide a RTSP stream to Blue Iris. FWIW, I have followed these directions to stream their Tapo C110 camera successfully to Blue Iris.

The bad news though is that the C720 is still not being sold in the U.S. yet as the info says "Coming Soon." :confused:

View attachment 186531
The Tapo floodlight looks great, but it was announced over a year ago in January 2023. TP-Link customer service has no update as to when (or even if) this will be available.

Last edited: