Florida Bobcat - or is this a domestic cat?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Was looking over the video clips of the cancelled alert clips from today. Those are the one that triggered the camera but DeepStack didn't locate anything. At first I thought it was a domestic cat I'd never seen around here until I notice the very short tail with a black tip. Sorry I don't have better video. Captured with a 2MP Dahua HDW5231R-ZE under VERY dark conditions; At least the LED flood light triggered. Yes, I still need to put up a camera on the far end of the back corner of the house. If the alert had been verified the PTZ would have swung around to take a closer look and it's located on that far side corner I mentioned but it's normally looking at the empty field on the side of my house.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Was looking over the video clips of the cancelled alert clips from today. Those are the one that triggered the camera but DeepStack didn't locate anything. At first I thought it was a domestic cat I'd never seen around here until I notice the very short tail with a black tip. Sorry I don't have better video. Captured with a 2MP Dahua HDW5231R-ZE under VERY dark conditions; At least the LED flood light triggered. Yes, I still need to put up a camera on the far end of the back corner of the house. If the alert had been verified the PTZ would have swung around to take a closer look and it's located on that far side corner I mentioned but it's normally looking at the empty field on the side of my house.

All I can say is maybe. Here is a link to a picture of a Florida Bobcat.

Facts on Wild Bobcats in Florida | Sciencing

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My guess would be a juvenile or female bobcat.
I agree. Too small for a male IMHO, unless a juvie. We have lots of Bobcats on our farm, see them pretty often even in daylight. Used to only see them only rarely, at night. I like them, as they try to keep our destructive obnoxious exploding squirrel population under control :thumb: Need more bobcats, fewer squirrels :cool:
We have a wide variation in the Bobcat markings and sizes, so can't attribute too much commonality to them aside from the obvious bobbed tail, rump high stance, and tufted ears. Catch them on my cameras often. Still waiting to see a "mountain lion" aka cougar here. Locals claim they're here, but so far I've seen none - not even tracks. I do know they are along the TN-NC border, which isn't far from me.. but so far, no big kitties; just bobcats. Here are some shots of my bobcats

Attachments