Focus problem when it's raining

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it was raining tonight in my zip code, 91792, and I noticed that the Huisun above my garage seemed to focus on the sheets of rain directly in front of the lens, and not the background. I mean, the background view was blurry, couldn't really distinguish houses or cars as the camera seemed to want to focus on the rain falling in front of it. I assume this is because I have set the focus to 10cm, which is the closest it can be set? Looks like I am not going to be able to see anything in the background when it rains. I need to play with the focus setting I think....??

Also the Huisun in my backyard seemed to accumulate water on the outside of the lens rendering it very blurry. However, after tilting it up and down a couple of times in order to knock off the water, I could see again. This was at night time with the IR on. Don't know if I like this behavior of the camera at all. And I have a third one coming in....

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with fog. There were posts about focus issues and I remember reading that it was recommended that the defaults be used first before making changes. The defaults are Focus Mode = Semi-auto, and Min. Focus Distance = 6 M.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yup, I left on semi auto, no problem with focus in rain.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Try in focus distance of 10m
And change you ir near and far settings by 1 value see if that cures it
I didn't see a 10m option on my cam... 6m was the longest before Infinite.

Neither one kept my huisun from trying to refocus continuously as night falls. Manual focus was rubbish because either the focus drifts or changes in lighting actually do require the cam to refocus.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here.
I might be getting mixed up with my dome version

Either way try fiddling with the distance and the ir near and far settings

I had the focus issue but it wasn't caused by rain it would just go out of focus when it got dark.
The above is what cured it for me.
It's been a good week or so now and it's still fine.

The theory I had was the ir was bouncing back of dome hung quite close (washing line) and causing the cam to try to focus on it which made the cam go out of focus.

If it only happens at night I would be inclined to say its definitely an infra red thing.