Fog/light reflections washing out night image

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I still think and auxiliary IR would help you a lot, especially further from the camera.

Here's a capture from a 5442T, 6mm. The IR in the camera is off but there is IR from another camera, mounted basically mid-frame, and an auxiliary illuminator out even further. I get sharp captures of deer and fox with this setup, not to mention people should they wander in at night.

fox.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here’s my recent 5442 install. havent spent a lot of time hyper-tweaking the settings. Just getting the system up and running the last few days was the main focus of my efforts. @sebastiantombs thats really nice image! Maks mine look like a bit too much IR glare off the siding, but can still can see under the boat. There’s No motherfucking parking on my side. That Van might get tagged.2DFA54A1-B31B-480F-B7CE-DCB2D96DFBDE.png

Last edited:

Krieger

n3wb
Reaction score
I still think and auxiliary IR would help you a lot, especially further from the camera.

Here's a capture from a 5442T, 6mm. The IR in the camera is off but there is IR from another camera, mounted basically mid-frame, and an auxiliary illuminator out even further. I get sharp captures of deer and fox with this setup, not to mention people should they wander in at night.

View attachment 141095

I really would like to add auxiliary IR illumination. I was considering POE illumination, but they all pull a ton of power. My switch can do 195 watts total POE supply, currently using 25 watts with 6 cameras connected. I might see what I can do. Maybe I'll just run a separate 12v power supply and run low voltage wiring so the illuminators aren't POE powered. Any recommendations for something that doesn't look like garbage?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These work really well and a lot smaller footprint than some others.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I run 162 or 18/2 when I run the CAT cables to provide power for auxiliary IR. It takes a load off the switches that way.

I'm using these. The big one lights up the whole back yard, about 200 x 220, for all the cameras back there. I do have IR on for one camera to fill the shadows created by the big IR flood though. I;ve seen good reports about the Tedelux wittaj mentioned as well. Mine have been up for a few years with no problems.

Blaster

Smaller IR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Krieger

n3wb
Reaction score
These work really well and a lot smaller footprint than some others.

I like that one, small and compact.

I run 162 or 18/2 when I run the CAT cables to provide power for auxiliary IR. It takes a load off the switches that way.

I'm using these. The big one lights up the whole back yard, about 200 x 220, for all the cameras back there. I do have IR on for one camera to fill the shadows created by the big IR flood though. I;ve seen good reports about the Tedelux wittaj mentioned as well. Mine have been up for a few years with no problems.

Blaster

Smaller IR
That's a fucking cannon, holy shit. Do you run 12v over the 18 gauge wire, or do you have an adapter on the end? My concern is voltage drop over some of the distances I'm looking at.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My runs are limited to about 50 feet so 16/2 is actually my cable of choice. No problems with voltage drop that I've seen, but to be honest I've never checked it. Everythings working fine. On the corners of the house I use two of the smaller ones. They're situated so one covers the side and the other points to the front or backyard. So I'm running two of the smaller ones on a single 16/2 cable in four locations.