font issues on Dahua IP cameras

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
loool man, no body but you started the image quality topic...
This entire thread is about stupid font that's abnormal, and its escalating to this camera being bad with IVS from my part, and some SmartPSS v2 crashing in general
It was a natural progression away from fonts once you, the OP, started then asking about: "I've been running one IPC-HFW3441E-SA installed outside for some days now and its horrible!!!! the audio quality settings are pathetic, the IVS is asleep, 50% miss rate, the time font is a joke, I would give this camera 0/10 to be honest, my old IPC-HFW4421E cams are out performing that cam loose hands! ... I'm starting to regret using dahua cameras and software due to constant issues since day one, starting with SmartPSS v2 that kept crashing on my server and any other pc acting as server when I playback video, dahua support from china spend days to try fix it, it was unsuccessful, it crashed on any pc....so it wasent hardware related, and therefore I'm still using SmartPSS v1
"Failed to start playback. NETSDK returns error" was the error"

Not that I did not post in this thread until after your post above, so I did not steer it way from "stupid font" as you steered it away when you said this camera IVS doesn't work, the audio is pathetic, etc. and I was offering up why that was the case.

Then that led to the discussion as to the camera you selected and what you are trying to accomplish and why it is failing with the newest algorithms compared to your older camera.

I have provided you with why this camera is not performing like your older one (problematic field of view, bad lighting, IVS setup issues using one line instead of zigzag or intrusion box), but it sounds like all you want to do is complain about the camera and say I took the thread off course, which in reality was getting you to the answers about why you are having problems with things outside of the font issue.

I'm done. Good luck...

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You have max/min set so that it should capture everything. That's generally how they should be unless there's some specific reason not to.

What happens if you set the target filter to human? If no trigger, then try changing the tripwire, maybe zig-zag it up. And/or try adding an intrusion box. You should see the lines trigger. If that never happens no matter how you have the lines, then something else is going on.

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under Events > Smart Plan, do you have the light bulb selected and showing orange?

How are your tripwires, intrusion boxes, etc., set up? Post a capture of that tab showing the lines.

What "objects" are you trying to trigger on using IVS? Most newer Dahua cams won't trigger on animals even with no target filter selected. If you're trying for people, check the target filter and select human.
yes, yes its orange:lmao:
I can literally walk normally over that trip wire and it might catch me, its very sluggish on this IPC-HFW3441E-SA cam, I think its a firmware thing.
on my old IPC-HFW4421E cams, no issues at all!!! working perfect for many years now, it tracks objects with blocks around them until it's way to far and that goes for the night as well.
I've attached some quick cropped snaps from just now

Attachments

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the name of the font that Dahua uses?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Spend some time looking at the animal thread I posted and you will see that max and min target size is still based on humans whether you check it for human or not....that is why your older camera was better...
I understand the min/max settings.

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have max/min set so that it should capture everything. That's generally how they should be unless there's some specific reason not to.

What happens if you set the target filter to human? If no trigger, then try changing the tripwire, maybe zig-zag it up. And/or try adding an intrusion box. You should see the lines trigger. If that never happens no matter how you have the lines, then something else is going on.
same results tho, sluggish IVS

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
same results tho, sluggish IVS
What do you mean by "sluggish?" Does it trigger but too slowly? Randomly working or not?

Again, try changing the way that you have the tripwire done. Zig-zag it all over across the porch and up the sidewalk as a test to give it more opportunity to trigger. Some views just don't work as you might expect for whatever reason. Check the human box again. Disabling the target filter doesn't really work on newer cams anyway so that's not doing anything for you.

If you do that and have IVS set up right otherwise (which is why I asked about the bulb, never know how people have things) then it should trigger. If not, then yeah maybe some issue with IVS on that cam.

What happens if you use regular motion detection (not IVS)? You should get a ton of triggers for anything with that. Does this cam have SMD?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, yes its orange:lmao:
I can literally walk normally over that trip wire and it might catch me, its very sluggish on this IPC-HFW3441E-SA cam, I think its a firmware thing.
on my old IPC-HFW4421E cams, no issues at all!!! working perfect for many years now, it tracks objects with blocks around them until it's way to far and that goes for the night as well.
I've attached some quick cropped snaps from just now

These views have a much larger field of view and you can see that it has time to see and object and identify it and determine if it meets the criteria.

1672509230279.png 1672509400310.png

Now compare that to your new camera with such a tight field of view that an object is going to be past the IVS line before the camera has time to identify the object and determine if it meets the criteria, thus the "sluggishness". The person will be past the IVS line before it triggers so when it does trigger, it appears sluggish, but it is the field of view issue. Lower the camera or angle it out to see more of the walkway so the camera can see the object first, coupled with changing the IVS to a zigzag and you will see improved performance.

1672509363053.png

It is more a function of your field of view than it is the camera, although the new algorithm is partly to blame as it is designed to knock out false triggers, so an inherent delay that is seen even more on a budget cam.

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These views have a much larger field of view and you can see that it has time to see and object and identify it and determine if it meets the criteria.

View attachment 149578 View attachment 149580

Now compare that to your new camera with such a tight field of view that an object is going to be past the IVS line before the camera has time to identify the object and determine if it meets the criteria, thus the "sluggishness". The person will be past the IVS line before it triggers so when it does trigger, it appears sluggish, but it is the field of view issue. Lower the camera or angle it out to see more of the walkway so the camera can see the object first, coupled with changing the IVS to a zigzag and you will see improved performance.

View attachment 149579

It is more a function of your field of view than it is the camera, although the new algorithm is partly to blame as it is designed to knock out false triggers, so an inherent delay that is seen even more on a budget cam.
I cropped that image, that's why the field of view looks to messedup , I didn't wanna show unnecessary stuff that can reveal my identify, I just ran a couple of test just now, with this settings as above and another person monitoring my screen giving feedback via phone, it kept catching me every time I crossed the line, however earlier before we started getting active in the thread, It made me furious earlier today when someone walked arose the line and it missed that person!

But with my test just now, I found out that this IVS is sneaky!!! it doesn't show the block around you but its aware of you until you cross the trigger line depending on scenario, so when you walk away from it, it keeps the block around you until you to far, but when you walk towards the line it doesn't draw the block around you and then suddenly when you cross the line, the block appears, and triggered!! I tested it with target filter on and off, same results, as we all understand what the target filter does.... preset drawn target.

Last edited:

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I cropped that image, that's why the field of view looks to messedup , I didn't wanna show unnecessary stuff that can reveal my identify, I just ran a couple of test just now, with this settings as above and another person monitoring my screen giving feedback via phone, it kept catching me every time I crossed the line, however earlier before we started getting active in the thread, It made me furious earlier today when someone walked arose the line and it missed that person!

But with my test just now, I found out that this IVS is sneaky!!! it doesn't show the block around you but its aware of you until you cross the trigger line depending on scenario, so when you walk away from it, it keeps the block around you until you to far, but when you walk towards the line it doesn't draw the block around you and then suddenly when you cross the line, the block appears, and triggered!! I tested it with target filter on and off, same results, as we all understand what the target filter does.... preset drawn target.
So many issues under a thread that was about the hated fonts. Now it's the hated inaccurate IVS performance.
Much advise has been provided and the conclusion is it's a poor standard camera and you may of not optimized settings for the view or IVS better functionality.
Please take the advise provided and hopefully your hated problems may be resolved.

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So many issues under a thread that was about the hated fonts. Now it's the hated inaccurate IVS performance.
Much advise has been provided and the conclusion is it's a poor standard camera and you may of not optimized settings for the view or IVS better functionality.
Please take the advise provided and hopefully your hated problems may be resolved.
the main issue is the font, we just took a left turn briefly that was highly informative

Now it's the hated inaccurate IVS performance.
Its more like, big changes was made to the IVS system, as I really liked seeing the objects moving in blocks so then I know its actually working, so its a yes and no

I've explained my experiment earlier about the IVS and there was nothing wrong with my settings, its perfectly optimized (its a no brainer to be honest), as its not my first day working with dahua cameras.
...and there is nothing wrong with a 1/3 sensor camera 4MP for budget home surveillance, unless the firmware is proper rubbish, that might be the case,

And this thread have absolutely nothing to do with high quality video at night catching wildlife on camera.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The point of directing you to the the wildlife thread was to show you that the algorithms have been tuned to focus on people and vehicles and as such in a tight field of view it will struggle with drawing the rectangles around people because it needs enough time to see a person, run it against the algorithm and determine if it is something that it should be identifying to potentially trigger on.

If the field of view is large enough, you will see the rectangles as it identifies a potential object to be concerned about. Based on your field of view, by the time a person can clearly be seen head to toe, they are at or beyond the IVS line and that is the issue in your case.

In their efforts to eliminate false triggers, it makes certain field of views problematic.

That is more of the problem as to why you were able to not trigger the IVS on occasion. And why not checking the object detection resulted in still missing your testing. Whether it is checked or not it is still looking for human or vehicle regardless of what you set min and max size to.

But now you will no why if you have a dog or some other pet and wondering why it isn't triggering, you will know why now.

JayLie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. I solved the problem on the fonts!! yay

I downloaded all the firmware versions for the IPC-HFW3441E-SA camera from dahua sites ONLY and tried them all out, I found only 1 firmware version that works 100% perfect and it seems to be custom made by dahua!!! font is sorted, and the IVS seems to work better.
DH_IPC-HX5(4)(3)XXX-Leo_MultiLang_NP_Stream3-CustomPro_V2.800.12JW000.0.R.200612

Last edited:

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Failed to start playback. NETSDK returns error" was the error
Most of us wouldn't buy that camera as it is 4MP on a 1/3" sensor, so the internals is designed for 720P.

But at the end of the day, it is probably user error more than it is dahua cameras....

Many of us run Dahua cameras fine with no problem.

Are you running default/auto settings? If so, that is part of the problem.

Are you trying to do too much with one field of view? If so that is part of the problem as well.

SmartPSS takes a lot of computer resources and you probably don't have a system strong enough to run it. Give up on that and go with Blue Iris and come out far ahead...
I'm getting the same "Failed to start playback. NETSDK returns error" as the OP and I'm also using a 4MP on a 1/3" sensor camera.
Are you saying that if I get a better sensor size per MP, I will no longer have that error in SmartPSS?