Food for thought. Huisun vs Hikvision

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
In case someone someone considering Huisun mini PTZ vs Hikvision offering this might help a bit. First of all, just to be clear I've owned about 8 various Hikvision value cams for the past 2 years and Huisun only for 3 month. I will use Hikvision 4MP value turret/dome as the base for this comparison since English version (I am avoiding Chinese region cams from now on due to difficulty with firmware updates) of the cam is the same price as Huisun Mini PTZ at around $150 each:

PROs for Hikvision:
- Excellent day quality
- Nice build quality. Turret design is my favorite.
- Proven to be reliable (I have not had issues with any of my 8 Hikvision cameras, except on mini dome where 5 out of 10 IRs burned out)
- Builtin Motion detection works great. Able to set region for motion detection.
- Frequent firmware updates and lots of firmware configurations and features

CONs for Hikvision
- Night quality
- Night quality
- Night quality - while it was good enough 2 years ago, today I want something better and I was very disappointed with their new 4MP WDR models which I was expecting to improve night vision. You either have to provide enough light or install external IRs
- No Chrome support... yet

PROs for Huisun:
- Best bang for your buck. PTZ with 10x zoom is fun and practical! Can mount the camera anywhere without having to guess what lens you need and re adjust easily!
- Night vision with powerful IRs is wonderful
- Works with all Hikvision software, including Hikvision NVR and all functions supported
- BI support. I don't personally use it, but as users reported PTZ function has been added in the recent updates
- Comes in wide angle option same as Hik 2.8mm lens (Although it's only 3x zoom)
- All PTZ functions work with Android Tiny Cam Pro app using onvif profile (highly recommend this app vs Ip Cam Viewer). Make sure you have latest firmware installed which fixes onvif profile issue.

NEUTRAL for Huisun:
- Image quality could be improved although it's about the same as older 3MP Hikvision cams. At night it relies heavily on Noise Reduction, but powerful IRs help quite a bit.
- Mostly plastic build, has somewhat cheap feeling. Unknown how will it handle if left unprotected from weather elements.

CONs of Huisun
- Dependent on certain browsers IE/FireFox, can't view/edit settings in Chrome. ActiveX plugin they use is getting detected as malware at work and I wasn't able to install it.
- Builtin Motion detection is awful! Can't set a region and it sends out many false alerts during sundown and sunrise. If you use BI or any other software you can get around it though.
- To get maximum bitrate you have to set maximum fps at 30. Anything below will not get you the bitrate you have set therefore quality will be reduced. For example if you set it at 4000 Bit rate & 15 fps, the camera will be recording at around 1500 bit rate.
- There hasn't been any major firmware updates and support seems a bit difficult to deal with. Perhaps it will be improved, but I am not getting my hopes on this.
- Firmware overall is limited/basic in terms of features in comparison to Hikvision. I will try to compile a list at some point.

So very different cams and while Huisun isn't perfect with many cons it's still my top choice at the moment which is enough to replace some outdoor turrets/domes. Would I recommend it if it didn't have PTZ? Absolutely not! However, PTZ function is what stands above all and I ended up purchasing 3! The only thing is unknown is reliability and time will tell...

I will update this post with more info...

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice/Fair side by side write up. If you have any areas that are covered by BOTH it would be nice to see more comparison pics like Larebear did the other day. For all the Huisun talk on the forum there are still very limited install pics/image capture pics.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd on IE..for some unknown reason (in addition to I detest Windows in general) I could not enter Hui's firmware in Chrome or IE...had to use Firefox, which I hadn't d/l'd or used for years. The plugin for vid even worked, and allowed me to change firmware settings,etc. Still have issues with IE, but I'm not about to waste any more of my life on M$ anything.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Nice/Fair side by side write up. If you have any areas that are covered by BOTH it would be nice to see more comparison pics like Larebear did the other day. For all the Huisun talk on the forum there are still very limited install pics/image capture pics.
Thanks! I might do a comparison but I am too lazy to take the cams down at the moment and I will be gone for couple of weeks. I might do a comparison when I will be replacing 4MP Hikvision and moving PTZ to another place.

- - - Updated - - -

Odd on IE..for some unknown reason (in addition to I detest Windows in general) I could not enter Hui's firmware in Chrome or IE...had to use Firefox, which I hadn't d/l'd or used for years. The plugin for vid even worked, and allowed me to change firmware settings,etc. Still have issues with IE, but I'm not about to waste any more of my life on M$ anything.
Ok, so Firefox works? I will update it. I have never actually used firefox and I didn't know about it.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You? You're a Huisun L E G H U M P E R Klaspica!

View attachment 6748
Funny! I just did that Friday, in a public place...on a small 'smart' soda machine. No, I have no scruples!

It was one of the Coco-cola 'Freestyle' machines...but this wasn't the big monster version, but a compact countertop model...I WANT one!
http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/home/
I have a thing for diet lime coke, apparently.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just teasing you Klaspica. It's certainly a fine camera and you're Sherlock Holmesin' that Huisun for sure. Keep up the good work!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
CONs for Hikvision
- Night quality
Thanks @klasipca. I have some 4mp Hikvisions and I'm not too thrilled with the night vision either, I'm working on putting up some external IR to see if it helps.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't believe hikvision still doesn't work with Chrome. Pathetic. I've been forced to use IE now for months to login to my cams on a browser.

Otherwise I still love my cams, though. Super reliable, have had no issues with three of the mounted outside now for over a year.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write up and comparison, thank you for taking the time to write and post it.

nando

n3wb
Reaction score
I keep reading about how terrible the night vision on the Hikvision turrets are, but does anyone have examples of how the Hikvision cameras look at night with external IRs or any other techniques to make them look better?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2nd Generation camera's should be available from Late December early January, they are a leap forward according to Monica.

So I am looking forward to getting my hands on one off these.

Still loving my Huisun speed domes, well worth the money.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how are you.yes we will have discount from 12/11 to 12/13.pls introduce morr friend to buy
Thank you for your support.
Have a good day
Best regards
Monica wen

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
drive.jpg3mp 4mm example.jpg
@nando Here are a few captures from a 3mp turret which is one of the noisiest image sensors out right now in the HIK line. For what this camera is for I am very happy with the quality. It is mounted 17' up, I have other 4mp cameras down low for identifying purposes, this is just an overall view camera. Also I'm happy with the night vision, I get my entire drive and the street as well as some of the neighbors drive with no external IR or additional lighting.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have 4MP dome mounted in front of garage and it does the job with overall picture at night, but for identification purposes it's useless.