Footage recovery from dvr hdd

adelage

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I need to recover some footage from an Atlantis a15-tx400 dvr, and I (wrongly) thought that the quickest way would be to remove the hdd from the dvr and plug it to my PC, rather then using the tedious usb method with the dvr UI. Unfortunately, even though I was able to access the file system through Diskinternal Linux Reader, the files inside are not readable, they are just a ton of 1GB files which don't have any extensions. I have even tried with a forensics software called DVR EXAMINER by Magnet but it can't decode the hdd, saying that it can't read RAYSHARP file system, or something like that.
The problem is that once I plugged the hdd back to the dvr the date was reset to 1/1/1970, and even after setting it back to the current date it still doesn't show any recorded footage.
I am sure the footage is still there since form the beginning I have unplugged all the cameras and I made sure nothing was written nor the hdd was formatted, but I can't find any way to extract the footage from it. Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
sorry, what is binwalk?
Sorry, I'd assumed you were using Linux. I was wrong.

binwalk is a standard Linux utility that will examine the contents of a file and attempt to identify what is held inside it.
Although some indications can be false matches, it generally gives some pretty good clues that provide a basis for further analysis.

adelage

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I'd assumed you were using Linux. I was wrong.

binwalk is a standard Linux utility that will examine the contents of a file and attempt to identify what is held inside it.
Although some indications can be false matches, it generally gives some pretty good clues that provide a basis for further analysis.
No, I rarely use Linux and I am not very good at it unfortunately, now I am trying to use HX-recovery but I cannot find which which is the right DVR to select before the scan, Atlantis is not in the list, and Raysharp fails to work. I guess I have to try one by one until something works..