For people encountering unexplained high CPU utilization

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you running Windows 10 1903 and are experiencing unexplained higher than normal CPU utilization, cumulative update KB4512941 may be the culprit. If you have the Professional edition, you can uninstall this update and defer the monthly cumulative updates for up to 30 days. You maybe able to defer updates for up to 7 days with the Home edition. Another alternative for Home edition users is to use the utility called wushowhide.diagcab and hide the update until Microsoft fixes it.

Source: ZDnet

Windows 10 1903: Buggy update slows PCs, breaks Desktop Search, says Microsoft | ZDNet

Microsoft has finally responded to complaints from some Windows 10 version 1903 users that recent cumulative update KB4512941 is causing CPU usage to surge to between 30% and 40% and in some cases 100%.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not seen any issues.
CPU % are the same - I had it installed since 8/31 on BI PC. Does it affect all PCs?

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my understanding, it doesn't affect all PCs running 1903 with KB4512941. Microsoft is reporting that only a small percentage of users are encountering this problem. If anyone has an unexplained increase in CPU usage, check Task Manager and look for high CPU usage from SearchUI.exe. If so, then you are bitten by the bug. There are no workarounds for this bug to date other than uninstalling the update and deferring it (30 days Pro / 7 days Home) from re-installing. I only have 1 PC with 1903 on it and it doesn't appear to be affected by either high CPU usage or broke desktop search.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not seeing high CPU normally but when I play back all cams motion detection it jumps to 85% CPU and lags a bit. I was always able to play back without having high CPU in past with no difference and no updates from windows. What would be some reasons for sudden CPU increase?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw it on 3 of my Windows 10 computers, high cpu usage was Cortana, I did search and found fixes for that. All ok for now.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw it on 3 of my Windows 10 computers, high cpu usage was Cortana, I did search and found fixes for that. All ok for now.
What did you do to turn off Cortana - I do not see it taking up any resources in task manager. The issue I have is I never had this for a few months and now 75-85% lagging while playback all video searching for motion detection. That was best part to browse all video's motion detection at once. It is a love/hate relationship with this.

-no issue on playback if just playing back 1 video clip. This is just when playing all and hitting the "->]" for motion detection alerts.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well.. just updated/restarted windows 5 minutes ago. Play back still at 65-75% but no lag and can clearly and easily browse through all motion detection on all cams without freezing.