For those of you that have the POE version of Dahua NVRs...

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I installed an NVR4108-8P-4KS2 for someone and initially set it up at my work to try to make things easier when I set it up at this person's home.

The problem was I have Comcast with a Comcast router and a subnet of 10.1.10.xxx and he has a Verizon router with a subnet of 192.168.1.xxx. I noticed when I finally got everything setup that his cameras that were hooked to the onboard POE where still on a subnet of 10.1.10.xxx even though his router was 192.168.1.xxx.

Will the cameras connected to the onboard POE always be on a subnet of 10.1.10.xxx regardless of the routers IP?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you can change subnet of the cameras because the POE NVR's basically have a separate switch inside, hence the different subnet.

it is a good security practice to keep The cameras on a different subnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you can change subnet of the cameras because the POE NVR's basically have a separate switch inside, hence the different subnet.
Did you mean " I think that you "can not" change subnet of the cameras"?

Can someone else verify this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you mean " I think that you "can not" change subnet of the cameras"?

Can someone else verify this?
yes, that is how all these NVR's work...that is why you need to use virtual host in hikvision nvrs or connect to an unused port on dahua nvr's to get to them..this is one of the reasons not to use built in poe

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes, that is how all these NVR's work...that is why you need to use virtual host in hikvision nvrs or connect to an unused port on dahua nvr's to get to them..this is one of the reasons not to use built in poe
Got it, thanks guys

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You can change the subnet of the cameras. SETUP--->NETWORK----->SWITCH as you can see mine ip pool is set 30.1.x.x

switch.JPG

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can change the subnet of the cameras. SETUP--->NETWORK----->SWITCH as you can see mine ip pool is set 30.1.x.x

View attachment 22388
I never noticed that tab! So you can change the internal switch subnet in order to change the cameras subnet. Now is there a reason why I should or shouldn't change it? I originally asked because I thought that if the NVR subnet had to match the Router subnet than the camera subnets had to match the NVR subnet. From what I am gathering here I was incorrect about this?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
In my case their was a reason to change it to something other than their default 10.1.1.x, I had just installed a 16p NVR in a new building on this campus. Something happened in a parking garage about 2000' away so I was asked if I could install a few cams in that garage to catch the ingress and egress traffic. I used a few nanosatations and a POE switch. This DEPT has a ban on using the 10.1.x.x subnet because they have a lot of building equipment on it. So I changed the NVR to the 30.1.X.X then gave the 2 cams in the garage that range also so I could use the NVR to record them. So Its working good so far. A bit of advice about your setup. I really recommend you give all your cams sitting behind that POE NVR static IP's . It seems that the NVR gets buggy and 2 cams end up with the same IP and name, This is a new bug I fought with, I set em all static and issue solved. Also leave the subnet alone, you will be fine. The management port on the NVR should be set to static also and that is the one that should be in range with the Router.

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation @chris527 and the tip on the static IP. I always try to set static IPs when dealing with any kind of networking just for that reason. This time around I kind of screwed myself trying to make things easy by setting it up on a different network first.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think it should also be noted that the NVR does not route, so whatever ip addresses you give to your "switch" will not be accessible anywhere else.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it should also be noted that the NVR does not route, so whatever ip addresses you give to your "switch" will not be accessible anywhere else.
That is simply NOT true, did you read my above post, I have several NVR's across a LAN, all the management ports are on the same subnet. One of the NVR's I set the 30.1.1.1 subnet. I can take any ip camera and put it ANYWHERE on my network and as long as its IP is within the 30.1.X.X range the NVR will pick it up and record just like its attached to the back of it. These are all POE Dahua NVR's. I can do anything with that camera that I can do with the ones attached to the POE ports.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting. I tried that and was completely UNable to do that. I have a 5216-4ks2 with PoE and had the internal switch subnet as 10.3.3.x. My LAN is 10.1.1.x. I tried several different things to try and get access to the 10.3.3.x subnet and never did succeed. Using the NVR I also made the camera ip addresses static, and if moving them to my LAN they were never accessible to the NVR with a 10.3.3.x address. I had to re-attach them to the NVR, make the IP DHCP, and then I could use them on the LAN. I wonder if this might be a change in later versions of firmware???

I apologize if I gave inaccurate info, but that was my experience. I don't remember for certain, but I think that was also in that awful user manual too.

(I just had a thought. what were you using for netmask? I was using /24)

Wayne

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey no problem, I use a mask of 255.255.255

My main network is 10.50.50.X The default subnet of the cams are 10.1.1.1, There is a lot going on on the external 10.1.X.X pool, like building controls and other VM running for other things so I wanted to stay off of that sub net. I have a switch and two nic's on my puter so I was able to test the cam right from my desk, I logged on to the NVR , searched cameras and it showed up. It is running through a wireless bridge to a parking garage and recording to a NVR in another building, the nice thing about this is I can relocate where cams are recording. This NVR is a USA rebranded 4216p and perhaps the firmware you have is different, All the gear on this campus was purchased from Official USA re-sellers so If you have a Chinese NVR it might be different.