Force camera/camera group to record

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if there is a way to send a command to BI that will cause "Camera A' and/or "Camera_Group_One" to start recording.

I'm using Blue Iris, the Blue Iris Plug in for Vera and ImperiHome as a Control Tablet near the front door for the combination. The tablet displays the live camera image from the area outside the door. I'd like to create a function on Imperihome that would send a command to start recording the front entry camera(s) on demand. For example my wife is going to answer the door so she checks the ImperiHome tablet that displays the camera view from the front entry and decides before she opens the door to start recording on that camera.

Can this be done in BI?

Just FYI, I currently have BI sending motion alerts to Vera so I know going the other way is possible but I haven't seen anything yet that would allow Vera or another device to start a PARTICULAR camera or camera group.

Thanks

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could use the JSON interface in BI to do that (see the BI help file). You may want to talk to @Mike who makes BI Tools for some tips. :cool:

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You could use the JSON interface in BI to do that (see the BI help file). You may want to talk to @Mike who makes BI Tools for some tips. :cool:
I read through the JSON section of the Help but I didn't see anyplace to force a camera to go into record mode. I saw the ability to Trigger a camera but I interpret that to mean that if Record is not defined When Triggered then it won't just start Recording.

Did i misunderstand something

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read through the JSON section of the Help but I didn't see anyplace to force a camera to go into record mode. I saw the ability to Trigger a camera but I interpret that to mean that if Record is not defined When Triggered then it won't just start Recording.

Did i misunderstand something
Yes and No, You are correct about using the trigger command in JSON as a possible way, however, notice that the status command allows you to use SET commands (not just GET commands) and of course you can always activate/create on the fly to record on a trigger. Several of the JSON commands are like that.

If you think it thru I believe you'll figure out what you need to do in what order to accomplish what you want. :D

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can see that it might, but it sounds to me like a fairly complex process of changing the camera state control to Record when Triggered, then Triggering it. It sounds to me like the event will be over before anything happens :) As opposed to a single command to "Demand Record Camera A Start/Stop".