Foscam FI8906W and BlueIris

starneml

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two FI8906W outdoor MJPEG cameras.
They are on the latest firmware (11.35.2.59/2.4.20.10).

Ever since I have had them, I have had problems with them locking up (read on, it isn't the DSP issue :). The lockup was such that only a pulling the power and restoring power would fix them. Not even the reset button would bring them back.

They are configured with hard IP addresses and wired connections.
UPNP is disabled. DDNS is disabled.

I thought it was the DSP problem, so I got what was needed and flashed them with the new DSP code. Problem did not change.

I resorted to using a Belkin WEMO and IFTTN to power cycle it when it no longer responded to pings and that was happening anywhere from 2 - 20 times a day.

They were purchased at two different times (a few months apart) and I even sent one back to Foscam for an RMA replacement and the replacement exhibited the same symptoms.

I was using BlueIris to talk to the camera, motion sense, record, etc...

When the camera was working, BlueIris worked fine. I even tried lowering the frame rate to 10fps and/or the resolutiuon to 320x240. Nothing changed.
So, I replaced the cameras with FI9806W's which work great! No issues plugged into the same power, the same network cable, same everything, just the camera is different.

I took the FI8906W's and hooked them up and disabled Blue Iris.
And they have been rock solid ever since. No lockups, no reboots required, nothing.

I connect to them manually using an iphone app (LiveCams Pro) when I want to view the stream, but I would like to get them back to BlueIris so I can use those features.

So, now my question, does anyone know of any issues with Blue Iris and the FI8906W's? Any special settings? It sure looks to me like the camera doesn't like something BlueIris is doing and it locks the camera up hard.

I also posted this to the Foscam forum.

I am using Blue Iris with a bunch of FI9821W cameras and am very pleased with it, but it seems it doesn't like something about the FI8906W MJPEG cameras.

Any questions, please ask.
Thanks
Mark

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This won't solve your problem but ... I have two Foscam FI8906W cameras with same firmware as yours connected wirelessly and use Blue Iris 3.58.00 with no problems. So I guess all that indicates is that the FI8906W cameras should work with Blue Iris. At one time I did have an issue with one of them locking up but it was because of microwave oven interference with my wifi network. You are using wired connections so that wouldn't be your issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Foscam cameras have always had issues, blue iris or not. It does however seem that they particularly don't like streaming to blue iris for whatever reason. Its hit or miss as some folks have no issues. The solution is not to resort to Belkin WEMO but rather to slowly upgrade to a reliable brand.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 7 foscam 8910w's and Blue Iris - runs 24x7 with no problems (knock on wood :) ) ... when your 8906s locked up - they didn't both lock up at the same time did they? The common thread is Blue Iris - when one or both of them locked up, did you try shutting down BI to see if it had any affect?

starneml

n3wb
Reaction score
This won't solve your problem but ... I have two Foscam FI8906W cameras with same firmware as yours connected wirelessly and use Blue Iris 3.58.00 with no problems. So I guess all that indicates is that the FI8906W cameras should work with Blue Iris. At one time I did have an issue with one of them locking up but it was because of microwave oven interference with my wifi network. You are using wired connections so that wouldn't be your issue.
Since I replaced those two cams with HD cams (which aren't having this problem) I have hooked to 2 MJPEG cameras back up for testing.

One is Wired and the other is wireless (I don't have an easy way to wire that one up wired at the moment) and BI is connected to them.

The wired one seems find now (so far) - the wireless one has had 2 lockups since yesterday.

There aren't any nearby microwaves or such, but I will keep that in mind.

Thanks

starneml

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 7 foscam 8910w's and Blue Iris - runs 24x7 with no problems (knock on wood :) ) ... when your 8906s locked up - they didn't both lock up at the same time did they? The common thread is Blue Iris - when one or both of them locked up, did you try shutting down BI to see if it had any affect?
No, they both randomly locked up.

That's a good idea... I will try that the next time it locks up and see if it comes back.