Foscam FI9831W not connecting after power outage and making strange noise

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That' s not a bad idea but you can bet a UL listing would likely double or triple the price. Besides, most UPS batteries only last 3 to 5 years because they are on charge most of the time. What gets to these little power supplies is power surges. It might pay to put it on a brand name $10 surge strip if you can live with the outage. Belkin and APC make a tiny one for a single outlet.

POE cams with a good-sized UPS to power the POE source and the NVR or IVS PC would be my preferred solution.

The only thing worse that having a linear power supply with filter capacitors or a switching power supply with timing capacitors is either one with a &%$# battery in it, IMHO!

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My primary concern is working video during power outages. Everything else is backed up, incl. the WiFi AP's.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My primary concern is working video during power outages. Everything else is backed up, incl. the WiFi AP's.
I gotcha. I've got 3 UPSes in my house, including the DirecTV satellite DVR and the 65" Sony 4K/3D flatscreen. It's just that I loathe batteries. The near-45 years I've been around 'tech' battery technology has improved leaps and bounds but I still can't stand 'em...even when nothing else will do the job.
Don't ya just love having a dozen or more devices that use AAA and AA batteries but then there's ONE dad-blamed tester or device you can't live without that uses a 9 volt? Arghhhh!

And up here in the country, this time of year you better stock up on what you need before the hunters scarf all of 'em up for their game cameras!